Looking for feedback on the best hair jig rod you have used??

I am on the search for a hair jig rod. I LOVE the action of my GLX 902s, but the grip on this rod is split and I am an all fingers forward of the reel stem to help reduce fatigue on wrist/hands when fighting fish. This rod has the perfect tip to throw hair jigs a mile and it has a great parabolic action, but I just can't get past the grip issue. I wish the 902s was made with the prior generation Daiwa Steez grip, the longer tapered, grip, but that isn't an option.

So what rods have you used to throw hair jigs?? I understand that this is truly a specialty application, but an important one for those of us who chase smallmouth.

2. Member
    While I haven't used it yet I'm about to order a custom hair jig rod from Thorne Bros. Looking forward to trying it. Lots of people in WI and MN who use it. Another option I considered is Vocelka Fishing. I've heard a lot of positive things about that rod as well.

3. Member
    X-ray DS 721 custom built to 7'7 is by far the best I've used. The Daiwa kage 7'6 ml isn't bad either.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    X-ray DS 721 custom built to 7'7 is by far the best I've used. The Daiwa kage 7'6 ml isn't bad either.
    I use the 721 too, hindsight being 20/20 I would have extended it. I just had 2 more delivered so I'll probably build a longer one. I've used a SJ732 also but the DS is better.

5. Member
    Imx-pro 901s

If you're flinging light 1/16 oz marabou jigs I really like the 7'10" St Croix Victory Crosshair rod.

I expected the rod to be heavy and cumbersome but I was surprised how well it feels and how far it throws a little jig.

I see that St. Croix has added a 7'10" rod to their Legend Tournament series. I might have to get one of those too.

Here's a couple vids Travis did on the rods.

"If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green

8’ custom. Throws em farther than any 7’6” factory built rod. You can have the handle built however you want. I have a Vocelka custom hair rod.

8. Member
    Because the hair jig technique isn't about sensitivity, this is a GREAT suggestion. I had forgotten about the Victory and LTB, as both have the foregrip that I am looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpcard View Post
    If you're flinging light 1/16 oz marabou jigs I really like the 7'10" St Croix Victory Crosshair rod.

I expected the rod to be heavy and cumbersome but I was surprised how well it feels and how far it throws a little jig.

I see that St. Croix has added a 7'10" rod to their Legend Tournament series. I might have to get one of those too.

Here's a couple vids Travis did on the rods.