Spongy hatch lid

My 20 ft Ranger, 1999, has developed a spongy hatch lid. Is there an easy fix? The problem lid is the lid where our grandson stands on to fish from. I'm afraid it is going to cave in. Anyone have an easy fix. The lid is fiberglass. Thanks T

2. Member
    Get ahold of Ranger Mike he will hook you up.

I have a couple of lids that are soft. I was thinking of running a couple of braces on the underneath side or I've read that you can drill and inject epoxy and stiffen them. The dealer was going to check with Ranger but I've not heard from him. I have a 2008 188vs .

Shywayvett, do you have a number for Mike?

4. Member
    Look him up on facebook I think he's on here also

I have one too, I've been thinking of drilling a few 3/8' holes in the underside and filling it with expanding foam. Anybody tried this ???
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Are this lids cracked? I have fixed a few that were spongy but they were cracked on the corners. Remove hinge, peel back carpet, fix cracks with West system epoxy and 1708, glue carpet back, install hinge and good to go.

7. Member
    I’ve got a few that are spongy also. They’ve been that way for some time, I’m starting to worry about a foot going through. I’m also looking for a fix that won’t cost so much it makes ME spongy. It’s really the only issue where it kinda irks me a little. It’s a 2001, so it is an older rig, I get it. But how I’ve treated this rig, it shouldn’t happen to this extent. As I said, one has been replaced (ice chest lid) that I can remember, maybe another, just not sure. I think the ice chest lid was when the rig was fairly new. I would have thought with its size, the ice chest lid would have been stronger than the larger ones.
    Last edited by Ron H 520; 06-06-2023 at 01:16 PM.

8. Member
    It's a known problem with rangers. I have my 3 front lids being made by Ranger Mike. Check him out real nice guy

9. Member
    Did you have to provide measurements and dimensions or has Ranger Mike made enough lids that he has a pattern for most of the Ranger models?
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

10. Member
    jUST GIVE HIM THE HULL ID #

I've PM'd Ranger Mike with no response, do any of you have a phone # for him?

12. Member
    I filled out a form on his website. Took a few days for him to get back to me. Said he’d never done a z520 and asked me to measure the lids. Just a heads up that he may need help to make the best lids for you.