Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Get yourself a government (federal)job, 11 paid holidays, 5 weeks vacation, pension + 401K. 75K salary + gold card bluecross insurance, when you whip that card out at a doctors office their mouth is watering. If you just pull in the parking lot and show up they’re happy.
    If job security is a big part of ones plans then I would agree.

However, there is a reason private sector employers don't like hiring .gov workers and vice versa. One has to worry about making payroll and the other simply raises taxes on the masses (at least the 50% who really pay federal taxes) while demonising the very business owners who provide the tax base for the government salaries.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    If job security is a big part of ones plans then I would agree.

However, there is a reason private sector employers don't like hiring .gov workers and vice versa. One has to worry about making payroll and the other simply raises taxes on the masses (at least the 50% who really pay federal taxes) while demonising the very business owners who provide the tax base for the government salaries.

Yep keep paying in those taxes fellas

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Trade for sure. I am a licensed Electrician, HVAC tech and a Mechanic. I have enough work to where I could work 24/7 if I wanted to. I work a daytime job for an Electrical/HVAC company then do mechanic work in the evenings including working on all of the company vehicles which I get paid separately for. I also can easily make $1000 or more on a Saturday by changing a AC unit out, swapping out a panel box or installing a generator. Best part about it is no one controls you but yourself, I could walk in on Monday and the boss man tell me I don't have a job there anymore and I could easily find another one paying the same or more that week, or make even more money by picking up side jobs. If you are in the medical field like some suggest you have to work for a hospital or medical facility which be can be harder to find depending on location, plus if you don't like the rules and policies or any changes to them they make where you are working you can't easily quit and find another job. Same goes for engineering and many other fields. I can go anywhere in the country and find plenty work to do.
    I can understand your position and decision process. I still stand that if you shopped private sector companies, you could've found a place with the work/life balance you wanted. I own an HVAC Company and have 13 service techs right now. Only 2 work over time and that's because they want to.

4. Member
    HVAC is an amazing career choice for sure. It has blessed our family for 26 years. My wife was able to stay home with the kids. I worked alot and missed a few things but rarely.
    I now work commercial and only work 40 hours a week. I make more working 40 hours then almost all my friends working 60 hours a week. I've worked hard and earned my living and my scars and hands prove it. At 43 years old, I can definetly say I made the right choice.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alliston64 View Post
    I can understand your position and decision process. I still stand that if you shopped private sector companies, you could've found a place with the work/life balance you wanted. I own an HVAC Company and have 13 service techs right now. Only 2 work over time and that's because they want to.
    Not sure what you mean by that, I have a good work balance as is.

6. Member
    Tech makes more money but trades provide more stability. Choose wisely.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyhokie View Post
    Tech makes more money but trades provide more stability. Choose wisely.
    This makes absolutely no sense.

8. Member
    My son is a diesel tech and he is very good at his job. He has one primary client and makes great money, even though he doesn't charge near the labor rate of other techs. He's been told multiple times that he has fixed trucks or equipment for a 1/3 to 1/2 of other quotes. If you pick a trade, as mentioned, pick something you have an interest in. I went with a great government specialized job and was happy, I've even gone back as a contractor after 4 years of retirement, it's fun again and pays well.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

9. Member
    As a retired mechanic I haven't heard much about these trades taking a toll on your body, they will, going to be 70 years old.

I just thought I would mention that little tid bit.

10. Member
    Sitting in an office chair all day will kill you off pretty quick too

A need for trades around here

12. Member
    Not all kids are the same. Most don’t have a clue on what they want to do for work. Hands on is not for everyone either is a desk job. I’m proud I made it through my working days without have to be stuck in a cubicle and suit and tie.

Friend of mine just got her nursing degree (RN) Went work for $65 per hour.

P01135809

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post

That is about what a MSN (Nurse Practitioner) earns around here in an Urgent Care setting. Back when the Covid nurse shortage was in full swing my nephew moved here earning HUGE dollars for a 4 year degree RN. Now he's back in Texas, says the pay goes further there than Nashville.

Nurses can earn great pay today in the right settings.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    My sons wife is a travel nurse she has averaged over $100 an hour since covid hit. Son is a machinist, both are 41 years old and everything they have is paid off, house, autos and toys.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123