Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    In today's modern auto shop the top tech who can diagnosis problems correctly makes more than management with out getting there hands dirty.

2. Member
    Get paid for what you know, not what you can do. There will always be more money and opportunities available for smart people. I’am in a trade that has never really paid well but good door techs now make 50 to75 per hour. Unless you are union the benefits are just not there in the trades.
    John the Garage Doorman

3. Member
    I work in oil and gas production as a gas turbine tech for 54 years. It started out working a 7/7 rotation then it went to a 14/14 rotation, required knowledge of AC & DC electrical, pneumatic, natural gas fuel & hydraulic systems, relay logic and PLC controls doing calibrations for temperature and speed, doing vibration surveys, bora-scope inspections of internal parts. Monitor daily performance. I have no regrets.
    For a 18 year wanting to get into this field contact Solar Turbines in San Diego, Ca. they will provide training.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    As a 30+ year diesel tech, I (and other established techs) absolutely cringe when people say "go learn a trade" as a blanket answer whenever this conversation comes up. I could teach most of you or any other reasonably intelligent adults 2&4 cycle engine theory and perhaps get you to perform certain tasks but it won't make you a mechanic. If you don't have natural predisposition for working with your hands, you're gonna struggle, put your tools away and become another useless manager that thinks they know it all because they dabbled in it before packing it in. All the trades experience this to a degree. It's an insult to those of us who paid our dues and conduct our trade with professionalism.

Maybe Junior should go and "learn a" lawyer, accountant, pastry chef etc trade instead.
    Too true. Tools & school DO NOT make you a mechanic. Been wrenching professionally for 35+ years. One of my favorite comments I've overheard happened yesterday when a customer told his boss " This guy REALLY knows what he's doing !" I've seen too many people just out of school who have no business even owning a wrench & some who I didn't think could make it turn into really great Techs after they figure a few things out.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angleiron View Post
    Kids and most people these days have ZERO mechanical abilities to do anything, and that is where the trades comes in. Know someone who said that the electrician union will take anyone these days as far as an apprenticeship. If someone was to look at a trade where it will always be needed , then bust his ass to learn what is needed and go out on his own and be his/her own boss. If you go tech then you better go big and specialize in something that takes brains/talent.
    This is very true. I'm a union sheetmetal worker and the kids that come in as preapprentices are as close to brain dead as someone with a traumatic brain injury. Constantly on the phone, and don't want to work. Anymore it's like attendance is optional...miss 1-2 days a week. It's sad to see this younger generation entering the workforce with the attention span of a piss ant.
    Last edited by Kicktheirbass; 05-31-2023 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Misspelled

6. Member
    I think it depends on the individual. I will use my two sons as an example. A perfect scenario to describe the difference is one weekend last fall i had to show the one son how to change a light bulb in his tail light and at the same time the other rebuilt the transmission in his van. The one is building a tile laying business and already picking up different work like siding and fence replacement that are falling into his lap. The other I am pushing towards college. Both are extremely smart but have different skills and abilities. The one that couldn't change a light bulb set up a spreadsheet for his sister to use managing a coffee shop that was incredibly well done and did things I didn't even know excel could do with no formal training. I'm an engineer, I've seen a lot of pretty fancy spreadsheets.

So the short answer is, just depends.

Another thing, I worry about what AI will mean for engineering and tech in general. There will always be a need for "people" but how many is the question.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    As a 30+ year diesel tech, I (and other established techs) absolutely cringe when people say "go learn a trade" as a blanket answer whenever this conversation comes up. I could teach most of you or any other reasonably intelligent adults 2&4 cycle engine theory and perhaps get you to perform certain tasks but it won't make you a mechanic. If you don't have natural predisposition for working with your hands, you're gonna struggle, put your tools away and become another useless manager that thinks they know it all because they dabbled in it before packing it in. All the trades experience this to a degree. It's an insult to those of us who paid our dues and conduct our trade with professionalism.

Maybe Junior should go and "learn a" lawyer, accountant, pastry chef etc trade instead.
    Totally agree with you on this. I usually do not buy into the touchy, feely, progressive, kind of sentiments and I guess this probably isn't either since they all seem to hate the trades but I like to refer to almost everyone as smart and talented, just smart and talented at different specialties. I spent 30 miserable years, doing well financially, in tech. Hated the work though and was miserable. Recently went into construction project management with the ability to sometimes get my hands dirty and love it. Some of us just were not meant to spend every day behind a desk.

8. Member
    If I had a kid, I'd get him into fiberglass/gelcoat business. I did paint/body work for 40 years before switching over to boats and always made a damn good living but I'm making way more since moving over to repairing boats. If you're good there's no competition and you can name your prices and the insurance companies can't dictate what you charge, unlike body shops. I keep a 3 month waiting list year round, even during the plandemic.

9. Member
    There is a tech side to HVAC with Building Automation systems and that industry is booming!!

10. Member
    Been a heavy equipment mechanic my whole life. Still fix everything myself, including the dryer last night. Personally I knew this since I was a kid. Dad never through anything away until I took it apart to see what was inside.
    Have taught myself many aspects of repair over the years. Many trades as well. I owned my own construction business for 15 years too.
    Point is, that is my passion. Everyone needs to find their own. Even if times get tough, the best will always have work if it is tech or trade.
    Good Luck! Dad used to say "anything worth doing is worth doing well"
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    Your friend is correct IT is still alive and well. While some companies are laying off there are plenty hiring still. As far as trades go most everyone I know who does them has had many different employers and get laid off fairly often. When they start over with a new company they start back over on the payscale, PTO, and benefits. My dad was a roofer for over 30 years he did it all, hot tar pitch, rubber roofing, Sheetmetal, ect. His advice to me was to do good in school and get an office job to save the wear and tear on my body. He was right, the trades are not forgiving to an old mans body.
    Probably setting at a desk all day isn’t the most healthy thing either!

12. Member
    Got to find what works. A happy medium between loving what you do and makeing a living. You don't have to love it. There is something for everyone. I'm currently into a long-term study of the effects of sugar, salt and fat on the human body. I get paid, but man I stay tired.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

“Trades” are becoming more, and more, complicated. The drive for efficiency is a primary factor. Engines, HVAC, refrigeration, metal working, all of them, are beginning to merge with tech.

In the future, with robotics, hydraulics, AI, and automation, “Trades” will be “Tech”.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day

Teach a man to fish, he will complain that you stole his fishing spot.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toypuller View Post
    “Trades” are becoming more, and more, complicated. The drive for efficiency is a primary factor. Engines, HVAC, refrigeration, metal working, all of them, are beginning to merge with tech.

In the future, with robotics, hydraulics, AI, and automation, “Trades” will be “Tech”.
    What would you call in the 80 1/2 model year when GM came out with the CCC "Computer Controlled Carb" with all the input sensors? I think we are a "little" beyond "beginning to merge with tech".

15. Member
    Aptitude passion and demand should be the three primary considerations for any career path. A man who really has a passion for his occupation and is good at it will generally be more satisfied .

16. Member
    Get yourself a government (federal)job, 11 paid holidays, 5 weeks vacation, pension + 401K. 75K salary + gold card bluecross insurance, when you whip that card out at a doctors office their mouth is watering. If you just pull in the parking lot and show up they’re happy.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Get yourself a government (federal)job, 11 paid holidays, 5 weeks vacation, pension + 401K. 75K salary + gold card bluecross insurance, when you whip that card out at a doctors office their mouth is watering. If you just pull in the parking lot and show up they’re happy.

LOL.

Better half had a government job. We have friends/family in government positions.

No way in H3LL could I deal with the red tape, lack of progress, employee protection and other BS in those positions.

Government jobs........

Where if you suck at your job, you get promoted so your inability is passed over to another branch.
    Huntin' Ducks, Chasin' Pheasant, Catching Fish

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin_7 View Post
    LOL.

Better half had a government job. We have friends/family in government positions.

No way in H3LL could I deal with the red tape, lack of progress, employee protection and other BS in those positions.

Government jobs........

Where if you suck at your job, you get promoted so your inability is passed over to another branch.
    Agreed. And if your competent, you're looked over. I have friend working for a state going on 19 years now. He's paid less than half of his worth based on skills alone, not mention work ethic. Been trying to tell him to leave and go private sector for 19 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Alliston64 View Post
    Agreed. And if your competent, you're looked over. I have friend working for a state going on 19 years now. He's paid less than half of his worth based on skills alone, not mention work ethic. Been trying to tell him to leave and go private sector for 19 years.
    I will give you the other side of this. I work at the local school district. I have license in hvac and electrical. I mainly do hvac work and direct the maintenance department. I took a $4.95 cut in pay per hour 20 years ago to work here the difference in pay is about $10-$15 per hour what I would make now in the field and for our small town I currently make really good for 7 minutes from home. I came to this choice for time with my young children. In the field I had many days of going to work they were asleep coming home they were asleep I missed an entire day of my children's life. I came here for less money but I was able to spend many many quality days and hours with them, see them grow up, never miss an event in school or after that no way I could have done if I had took the money side. Yes the money is nice but I can retire here go back in the field and make the money now I I choose to but I couldn’t go back and regain the time I would have missed with my children. Life is about what is important and what isn’t. My choice was easy.

20. Member
    Trade for sure. I am a licensed Electrician, HVAC tech and a Mechanic. I have enough work to where I could work 24/7 if I wanted to. I work a daytime job for an Electrical/HVAC company then do mechanic work in the evenings including working on all of the company vehicles which I get paid separately for. I also can easily make $1000 or more on a Saturday by changing a AC unit out, swapping out a panel box or installing a generator. Best part about it is no one controls you but yourself, I could walk in on Monday and the boss man tell me I don't have a job there anymore and I could easily find another one paying the same or more that week, or make even more money by picking up side jobs. If you are in the medical field like some suggest you have to work for a hospital or medical facility which be can be harder to find depending on location, plus if you don't like the rules and policies or any changes to them they make where you are working you can't easily quit and find another job. Same goes for engineering and many other fields. I can go anywhere in the country and find plenty work to do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast