Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Renter Needs Advice on a Landlord Problem

My son is renting an apartment that has black mold growing on the walls from an upstairs water leak. He has reported it to the landlord and they came out and painted over the mold but never fixed the leak so the mold has just spread into a bigger problem. After multiple reports of the ongoing problem, the landlord now appears to be stalling. This has been going on for 6 months without being resolved and I believe this unit could be considered at this point uninhabitable due to health concerns.

I've done some searches for sites that might provide advice and keep getting these lawyer sites that want a credit card. Are there state agencies that we could report this problem to?

He's trying to find another place but his lease isn't up for another 6 months.
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BackLash625 View Post
    My son is renting an apartment that has black mold growing on the walls from an upstairs water leak. He has reported it to the landlord and they came out and painted over the mold but never fixed the leak so the mold has just spread into a bigger problem. After multiple reports of the ongoing problem, the landlord now appears to be stalling. This has been going on for 6 months without being resolved and I believe this unit could be considered at this point uninhabitable due to health concerns.

I've done some searches for sites that might provide advice and keep getting these lawyer sites that want a credit card. Are there state agencies that we could report this problem to?

He's trying to find another place but his lease isn't up for another 6 months.
    Read the lease close and see if there are any outs because of problems like your experiencing. Some states require!

3. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    health department..........

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

4. Member
    Get your local news involved if nothing else works. They love these kind of stories.

I would be calling the health department, mold is serious health problem.

Not all black colored mold is Black Toxic mold. First step would be to get a sample tested to figure out whether it is a GET OUT NOW problem or just a get it fixed problem. Document everything. Phone call logs, pictures with dates and descriptions. As mentioned earlier, read the lease thoroughly. Accept nothing verbal from the landlord.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Local Health Department.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    Had the same issue with my mother-in-law recently. Trust me, go spend a few hundred dollars and discuss this issue with a real estate attorney. Each state's laws are different and they will be able to get you out of the lease immediately with no penalties.

9. Member
    I have found mold to be a very tricky one. It’s hard to get medical people to admit black mold is an issue. It’s also hard to get a landlord or building people to it either. They want testing etc and usually they aren’t going to pay for it. My advice would be have them get out asap, that stuff can be devastating to a body, and if bad you can just throw out all your belongings also. As far as the landlord, that could be tough. Me personally I would go to them and say look, there is black mold, I am not staying in it and getting sick. The options are would you let me out of my lease or am I going to have to stir up a giant hornets nest about it? It’s your choice, I can go peacefully or make it a giant thing, what do you prefer? They might let them out, if not heath dept, news, anyone that will listen.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

10. Member
    Tell him to tell landlord he is calling a mold remediation company.

11. Banned
    Just do what every bad tenant did to me....leave unannounced and change their phone number.

12. Member
    Local health department and maybe a police call?

Our son experienced a similar issue when he rented a home in college. When the landlord delayed to repair a call to the health dept and inspection got his attention and the mold issue and some other improvements happened fast.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

15. Member
    Illinifish that reminds me of a guy who I worked with whose son went to college in Carbondale. When the boy moved in the apartment, dad went in and done a good video of every inch of the place. When the boy moved out, he got stuck with a big bill for all kinds of damages. Then dad produces the video of move in day. Dad loaded up and went to see the man. Things got bad. Cops were involved. It seems that this guy was a major property owner in Carbondale. He owned the land that Lowes built on. He also rented a lot of office space to the state. The story came out that he had been scamming people for years. The rich folk from Chicago and far away didn't want to take the time to go see for them themselves, and just paid the money. He had a profitable system going. Fast forward a few years. The guy gets locked up on child charges. Then just happens to get sent to prison where dad works! Dad was never allowed anywhere near the guy! About the same time the state changed rules on who could own property they rented from. He spent many days with attorneys transferring things out of his name.

16. Member
    Buy him a bottle of this......if this wouldn't kill it nothing will.....then let the landlord figure out the paint problem..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Clorox-Pl...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilbass22 View Post
    Illinifish that reminds me of a guy who I worked with whose son went to college in Carbondale. When the boy moved in the apartment, dad went in and done a good video of every inch of the place. When the boy moved out, he got stuck with a big bill for all kinds of damages. Then dad produces the video of move in day. Dad loaded up and went to see the man. Things got bad. Cops were involved. It seems that this guy was a major property owner in Carbondale. He owned the land that Lowes built on. He also rented a lot of office space to the state. The story came out that he had been scamming people for years. The rich folk from Chicago and far away didn't want to take the time to go see for them themselves, and just paid the money. He had a profitable system going. Fast forward a few years. The guy gets locked up on child charges. Then just happens to get sent to prison where dad works! Dad was never allowed anywhere near the guy! About the same time the state changed rules on who could own property they rented from. He spent many days with attorneys transferring things out of his name.
    Dad didn’t do a video of when moved out, that’s what really matters.

Step 1. Get son out of apartment ASAP. Until you know what the black stuff is/is not, treat his health as Priority #1 and get him out now!
    Step 2. Everything else that isn't important as Step 1.

Definitely a catch 22. If he reports it and the health dept condemns the apt, your son has to move, then he would probably need to get a lawyer to negate the lease because of the place being inhabitable.
    He may have something in the lease that would negate it due to the situation.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Not all black colored mold is Black Toxic mold. First step would be to get a sample tested to figure out whether it is a GET OUT NOW problem or just a get it fixed problem. Document everything. Phone call logs, pictures with dates and descriptions. As mentioned earlier, read the lease thoroughly. Accept nothing verbal from the landlord.
    this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast