Thread: Minnesota

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    You'll probably want to acquire a taste for lutefisk and tater tot hot dish.
    For when it's time to "have a little lunch".

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ch View Post
    Sounds like Minnesota sucks…
    So I'm certain my comment will be quite polarizing so here we go.

I've lived here my entire life and I do really think it's a great place to raise a family. Based on the age demographics on this message board, many of you have grandkids at this point so these points won't really apply to you.

The schools are highly rated. The government has passed numerous family friendly laws including free school lunches, paid family leave (rare in the USA), sick time, increased child care credits, and free tuition for lower income families.

With that being said, you do end up paying for those via high taxes.

If you can tolerate harsh winter weather for up to 6 months out of the year along with high taxes...this might be a great state for you to raise a family.
    2020 Ranger Reata 1850MS Merc Pro XS 150

3. Member
    I spent a short time up there for work and I think that is all anyone ever ate.

4. Member
    Make sure at some point in the winter, head up to Mille lacs and rent a sleeper ice house for the weekend (I recommend one from Brad Hawthorne) take some buddies with and a bunch of beer. Pretty cool deal if you've never done it.
    "We all have it commin kid....." Will Munny

5. Member
    Nothing better than tator tot hotdish......or any hotdish for that matter
    "We all have it commin kid....." Will Munny

6. Member
    Make sure to tell them you like Perch and go Packers
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

7. Member
    Block heater for the P/U if you have to park it outside overnight in the winter.
    Dave

8. Member
    Appreciate all the info. It will be helpful.

9. Member
    Remote start for your truck if you have to park outside or in a non-insulated/heated garage.
    2020 Ranger Reata 1850MS Merc Pro XS 150

Wow... advice for LIVING in Minnesota from people who live in the south is hilarious! Winters here are what you make of them. There are plenty of activities to enjoy the great outdoors if you are inclined to get outside in the cold.

Most of the northern folks who have given you GOOD advice are spot on regarding prepping your vehicle for long winters (good antifreeze, washer fluid, anti-gel in fuel, engine block heater, etc.).

Where abouts will you be moving to? Living in town? Suburb? Rural?

2WD is not a problem 99% of the time if you have some weight in the back, and decent snow tires... especially in town or suburbs. Most roads are kept very well-plowed. I grew up with rear-wheel-drive only trucks and vans my entire life and never spent a minute in a ditch in the winter. Just drive sensibly to match the conditions and you'll be fine. Not until I got 4WD, AWD, and ABS did I start getting stuck - it makes you think you are invincible and over-drive the actual road conditions.

As others have said, there are plenty of folks here who would be happy to meet up to go fishing too... summer or winter!

Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Wow... advice for LIVING in Minnesota from people who live in the south is hilarious!…..
    Quick Q for a local:

Do your sled dogs require a different diet in the summer versus the winter, and can you see a Santa Claus’s house from where you live?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Quick Q for a local:

Do your sled dogs require a different diet in the summer versus the winter, and can you see a Santa Claus’s house from where you live?

Nobody has sled dogs lol, Usually its a snowmobile with a 155" 800 with a can lol

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Quick Q for a local:

First, sled dogs are for pu$$ies.

Second, Santa be missing a few reindeer now.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Wow... advice for LIVING in Minnesota from people who live in the south is hilarious!
    I lived in MN for 35 years before moving south in 2005. The older I got, the more I could not take the winters up there. Life is too short to waste time stuck in that weather.

Winters here are what you make of them. There are plenty of activities to enjoy the great outdoors if you are inclined to get outside in the cold.
    That's true, to a point. I used to keep busy chasing ringnecks hard until mid-January (hunted Iowa and MN both). Then we had season passes to a local ski area. There are also snowmobiles (if there is enough snow) and ice fishing (was never a fan). But when we'd get those 2 week cold snaps where the highs were below zero, there is just not much you can do. Below zero for a high pretty much rules out anything I like to do. If the skies are sunny in the winter, it's cold. But not to fear, they tend to be dreary and overcast most of the time.
    Most of the northern folks who have given you GOOD advice are spot on regarding prepping your vehicle for long winters (good antifreeze, washer fluid, anti-gel in fuel, engine block heater, etc.).
    Agreed.
    John

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asabove View Post
    Can get my hands on an AWD. Good?
    For your winter driving AWD is head and shoulders better than a 2WD P/U. I did the opposite you are doing I moved to Georgia from Minnesota many moons ago don't miss the cold but do miss ice fishing. Bass fishing is way better than anything in Georgia numbers wise but not size wise keep an open mind and you will enjoy your time in the frozen tundra.
    Bass Boat