Thread: Minnesota

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Minnesota

Headed to MN, North of Minneapolis, for a year or more. Wondering what l can expect in winter. The main concern, is there anything special l'll need to do with my truck that we don't in GA?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Is it a Diesel? 4WD? I’m thinking you are in for a shock.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Make sure you have cold tolerant windshield washer fluid, and if you have a diesel carry some heat with you in the winter. Maybe consider tires if you have mudders or less than ideal tread. Mud tires are not good in the snow, not enough siping to get good grip to the road surface.

Assuming you are coming up this way for work? There are a couple of excellent tackle shops in the North Metro to spend those hard earned paychecks at, and a bunch of lakes not too far that are pretty decent for bass fishing.

4. Member
    If you are not used to it and especially if you do not have 4wd, added weight in the bed of the truck during snow.
    Huntin' Ducks, Chasin' Pheasant, Catching Fish

5. Member
    Not a diesel and it's 2wd.

I spent a winter in Anchorage. Bought a 4wd when l got there and put studded tires on right before the snow hit. That was recommended to me before l got there.

You’ll likely need to learn the language.

7. Member
    That would b way too cold for me.

8. Member
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    You’ll likely need to learn the language.
    The company flew me up there 2 weeks ago to check out the facility. We went to lunch at a local restaurant and l had to explain sweet tea to them.

10. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Take some Dragonglass and/or Valyrian steel...

You won't be far from the wall.

Oh, and...

Last edited by hatcreek; 05-31-2023 at 01:25 PM.
    Who controls John Gill?

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asabove View Post
    Not a diesel and it's 2wd.

I spent a winter in Anchorage. Bought a 4wd when l got there and put studded tires on right before the snow hit. That was recommended to me before l got there.
    That truck will be close to useless in the winter
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asabove View Post
    The company flew me up there 2 weeks ago to check out the facility. We went to lunch at a local restaurant and l had to explain sweet tea to them.
    Give up on the sweet tea thing. They always say we got sugar and sweet&low, they can't understand that it ain't the same.

Cracker Barrel and Texas Roadhouse may save you if they are close.

13. Member
    Swap the 2wd for 4wd, absolutely.

14. Member
    You are going to hate your life with a 2wd drive truck up there...

enjoy the fishing

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    Give up on the sweet tea thing. They always say we got sugar and sweet&low, they can't understand that it ain't the same.

Cracker Barrel and Texas Roadhouse may save you if they are close.
    Yep, Texas Roadhouse is about the only place close you will find sweet tea, theirs is quite good. McDonalds has their version of sweet tea, but its basically like drinking syrup. I drove around up here for several years with a 2wd Silverado and it was actually really good in the snow, once I put snow tires on it. If you are only up here for a year, I would consider investing in a set of snows for the rear at minimum, probably 350-400 bucks but it will save you a hell of a lot of headache. Blizzaks are amazing in the snow.

Let us know when you head up this direction, we have a lot of good restaurants and there are a bunch of guys up here that would be happy to get you out on the water when time permits, myself included. Politics and deep winter suck, otherwise its not a bad place to be.

Most locals have snowmobiles or keep a team of sled dogs trained and eager, in case they need to get milk and bread during the bi-weekly winter storms.

In July, during the three weeks of summer, the 2nd truck will be fine for driving on the dogsled and snowmobile trails.

Stay off the lakes with it at that time, though. They might look frozen over, but they won’t be.

The wind sucks in the winter.

A 2wd truck sucks in the snow. Snow tires are awesome in the winter. Diesel will gel and require a jug of E911 and additive to each fill up to avoid gelling. If it gets below -10 degrees just don't even try a diesel as you will run into issues eventually.

In addition, it gets brutally cold (like highs do not exceed 0 degrees F) usually for 1 or 2 weeks every year sometime between the middle of january and the middle of february. You must have a rock solid battery or your vehicle will not start.

Get an inside hobby.

Try to take a mid-winter trip somewhere nice to break the monotony and the seasonal depression.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    There was a young lady from Texas who was training to be a livestock market reporter for the USDA and she was sent to the Stockyards in South St Paul, MN for six months all during the winter.

She had a big Diesel Dually Pickup her Dad told her to keep the tank full and don’t ever shut it off until she hit Oklahoma on the way home.

20. Member
    First question why in the hell do you want to come here, do you like -30 weeks on end. Make sure you have antifreeze and not just water lol. What area you are going to? Ice fishing smallmouth is a blast! 2wd will suck but its doable, just make sure you have good tires and don't floor it off the line or stomp on the breaks.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast