Thread: Minnesota

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    I’d find a different job unless they are paying you extremely well. I hate the cold Wisconsin winter and Minnesota is way worse. You won’t be bass fishing all winter unless it’s through a ice hole. Two wheel drive isn’t going to be pleasant.and get yourself a big snow blower.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

2. Member
    A used snowmobile wouldn’t be a bad purchase.Sometimes one is needed to get out and pick up the bare necessities

3. Member
    Terrible winter, even worse politics, but absolute heaven for 3-4 months of the year. Endless fishing and outdoor opportunities. Pretty well kept boat ramps on every single lake. Can fish a different lake every day of open water season for about the rest of your life

If you can get over the politics and 60% of the year being a waste then it is an alright place to be

4. Member
    Snow tires and a couple sand bags in the box will do fine with the 2wd pickup. Get some good warm winter gear!

5. Member
    And Chick Fil a.

Get a couple thermacells, 100% deet, and a Mosquito net hat. You will hate the black flies and mosquitos the size of Rhode Island!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsmalliesfan View Post
    A used snowmobile wouldn’t be a bad purchase.Sometimes one is needed to get out and pick up the bare necessities
    This is no true. But maybe a team of sled dogs!. My goodness it sucks up here in the winter but it is very rare any metro roads are shut down or impassable due to snow. But that 2wd is about as worthless as anything up here. If its all you got, invest in bags of sand and fill up that pick up bed.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yadkincustomlures View Post
    Terrible winter, even worse politics, but absolute heaven for 3-4 months of the year. Endless fishing and outdoor opportunities. Pretty well kept boat ramps on every single lake. Can fish a different lake every day of open water season for about the rest of your life

If you can get over the politics and 60% of the year being a waste then it is an alright place to be
    This.

Some Beautiful Blondes there! Enjoy the views!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

10. Member
    Maybe lease a 4x4

11. Member
    Can get my hands on an AWD. Good?

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead754 View Post
    Snow tires and a couple sand bags in the box will do fine with the 2wd pickup. Get some good warm winter gear!
    This post is real advice, ignore the rest of the posts as it isn't as bad as they make it out to be.

13. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Bring long underwear, you will likely start using it in October. Also, our summer will be a piece of cake for you, little humidity

14. Member
    Too cold and more snow than I could tolerate.............great fishing though and mosquitoes so big they can carry you away.

15. Member
    Lol I'm thinking of doing the reverse of you. Thinking of moving to GA. 37 years of MN winters has taken it's toll!

2WD will be tough if you have little experience with winter driving. AWD would be fine as would 4x4.

Dress in layers in winter and just take off a layer when you get too warm. Buy a snowblower or hire a plow service. My service is $50 per clearing.

Make sure your antifreeze is filled up. Keep your tires inflated as they loose PSI during winter. Keep your gas tank half full or more especially if you're not driving much.

Consider vitamin D supplements in winter as you don't see the sun much...and if you do....that means it's too cold for clouds to form!

But once the ice out happens anywhere from March to May...you have hundreds of lakes an hour north of Minneapolis with some fantastic fishing. The summer in northern MN is truly special and a shame it doesn't last long.

You will probably hate the politics based on what I've seen on this board. The government is now all democrat and they have been going to town passing some very progressive laws and bills.
    2020 Ranger Reata 1850MS Merc Pro XS 150

16. Member
    Sounds like Minnesota sucks…

17. Member
    Pickup trucks are worse in the snow than say an awd Subaru or other vehicle that has lower center of gravity and better weight distribution. I live in an area that gets more than 10’ of snow per year and without fail the most common type of vehicle that goes off the road during snowstorms are pickups. Mostly due to drivers thinking big bad trucks make them invincible in snow.

Give me an awd Subaru with snow tires for a winter vehicle over a truck any day.

Like others have said, 2wd is doable. Load the bed with sandbags and go east on the pedals. Also keep in mind 4wd doesn’t stop any better than 2wd.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

18. Member
    I lived in Ga for a bit. To try and make it relatable for driving purposes driving in Mn during winter is close to driving on wet red clay. Most of the time you won’t be driving in snow, but packed down snow from drivers, plows, etc. it can be pretty slick. The awd will be better than the truck for sure.

MarkJ had a lot of good points. I find vitamin d helpful also, but you need vitamin k2 with it for absorption fwiw.

Also if the weather says blizzard warning or roads are treacherous they actually mean it and stay home. Also look safety kit in your truck/suv in case you do get stuck etc. you want a blanket, hat, gloves, socks, water, jumper cables, flashlight, first aid kit. Probably sounds overkill but trust me if you hit a deer or end up in a ditch and your car won’t run and you’re stuck a while and it’s -20 you need these items.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

19. Member
    Believe it or burning a candle in the cab of ur truck will keep it warm in there in an emergency.

You'll probably want to acquire a taste for lutefisk and tater tot hot dish.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast