Volkswagen Atlas V6

My 18 TRX will be here soon. I’m trying to decide between
    3 cars. I’m an suv guy. Trucks are just too expensive.
    Volkswagen Atlas v6
    Nissan Pathfinder v6
    or used Toyota 4 runner

All have 5000 lbs or higher tow capacity
    Do any of you guys have one of these for
    tow your boat?

2. Member
    Firstly I don’t own any of the above vehicles, so this is not first hand experience. I personally would go 4 Runner first choice. For one it’s a Toyota, reliable and will probably last forever. Second reason is that is has a full frame. It is rated for 5000lbs but that rating is pretty much limited by the v6 engine. If it could have a bigger engine it would essentially be a Tacoma that could tow 6800 lbs. I just personally like that full frame piece of mind.

I would probably pick the Atlas 2nd, as the Germans build a pretty solid vehicle usually. Complicated but solid. Lastly I would pick the Nissan. Part of picking them last is just what I see as an auto tech, I don’t think Nissan is nearly as good as they used to be. I see a lot of rust issues with them now too, but I live in the rust belt, you obviously don’t. But we get a lot of used Nissan SUV’s thru our dealership and recon, they just don’t hold up like they used to imo.

Moat of those thoughts are from a towing, reliability, keeping it longer term kind of view. If it’s short term then some of that may not apply. Then it also has to be comfortable and for you and fit you well. I would imagine the Atlas is probably the nicest place to be out of the 3, and could come loaded with lots of bells and whistles.

Again no first hand here, just some observations to think about from a different perspective perhaps. Good luck on your choice
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

3. Member
    Great info. Thanks

4. Member
    Depends on the year and engine on the Toy. My Tundra has the same V-6 5VZ-FE that the 4 Runner used (rated for 4700# towing) - it's barely capable of towing my boat, at highway speeds, in hilly country.

5. Member
    I am biased. We have owned three full time 4WD Toyota/Lexus vehicles. One was a 2004 V8 4 Runner, one was a 2010 Limited Runner, and the current 2016 Lexus GX460. My wife has tried a couple others over the years but always comes back to the full-time 4WD body on frame SUV. The V8's are silky smooth! The 4.0 pulled my Cougar fine, but no where near like my 5.7L Tundra. That is not really a fair comparison. I will buy another GX when it''s time. I am thinking about getting one of the 23's before everything goes to 4 bangers with turbos. I can't make myself spend the money right now.

The Pathfinder has had transmission issues, the old CVT was a disaster. The new 9 speed verdict is still out.

I love driving German cars, but will never own another because while they drive well they are VERY expensive to keep on the road long term.

The GX calls for premium fuel. That being said they are pretty darn good values if you can find a used unit that has been serviced.

6. Member
    I bought the Volkswagen. I love German cars. I traded in an Audi. The Atlas feels really big after driving an A6
    Truckish. Hope it will pull my boat out of the water!”

7. Member
    toyota any day over a vw or a Nissan. couldn't give me a vw or Nissan from what I see when they are in my customers shops for repairs

honda ridgeline?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Member
    It’s an 18 ft boat? If so you will have no issues