Mercury 60hp 2-stroke

I picked up a project motor this weekend, a Mercury 60hp 2-stroke that was supposedly running when removed. Not sure exactly when it was pulled, but likely around 5-10yrs ago. Serial number is OC188766, which I *assume* is roughly a 1990 model.

Which water pump/impeller kit should I use, and are any of the aftermarket kits considered equal to an OEM Mercury kit?

I was also told it needed a trim tab, but on closer inspection, looks like that area of the foot has been damaged and cracked (you can see the crack on the lower portion in the last two pics). How much of a concern should this be? I feel pretty confident I can "V" the crack out and either TIG or possibly even MIG with some 4043 or 5356 aluminum wire, but not sure exactly how extensive the damage is. I have an extra '79 or '80 Mercury 80HP 2 stroke, not sure if the lower units are even remotely similar.

Ideally, I'd like to use the motor on a 17' V-hull aluminum fishing boat, assuming I can get the kinks worked out.

Thanks!

2. Member
    really need ser number to be correct on p/n for kit , i like OEM parts , may cavitate some not repaired
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

The SN is listed in literally the first paragraph of the post...

4. Member
    dang sure is sorry bout that 77177A3 is oem p/n
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................