Question HELP!!! Lower unit will not stab

I just got my LU back from having the prop shaft straightened. The only way I can get it to stab is if the LU is in forward and the shifter is in neutral. I've tried the forward/forward, neutral/neutral and reverse/reverse. The splines just won't align. I've also tried the wiggle the shifting linkage trick. No go... Is it possible to install the shifter shaft in the LU clocked incorrectly? It is a 7 spline shaft so it's not symmetrical. I've had this lower unit on and off at minimum once every year since I bought the boat. This is the first time it's taken me more than 5 minutes to install. I'm stumped..
    '17 Skeeter ZX250 w/ Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    When you say "stab" are you talking about the lower unit going upwards so that the drive shaft engages the crank shaft and the shift cam rod engages the shift shaft? New term for me.

Normal procedure is to have the shift mechanism in neutral and the lower unit in neutral. In which case both parts will normally engage easily. I suspect that since the lower unit has been worked on the drive shaft has been turned. In which case it might be necessary to have someone rotate the flywheel a degree or two while you raise the lower unit into position.

3. Member
    I think the tech installed the shif shaft in the LU 180deg off. I went back with a clear mind and observed that when I turn the shift shaft clockwise the LU goes into Forward. When I move the Shifter knowb to forward, it rotates the linkage anticlockwise.

But the lower unit can be stabbed in gear or in neutral. When in neutral you can rotate the LU until it grabs the drive shaft splines and then you rotate back to align the bolt holes.

4. Member
    I figured it out. The shift rod was in fact installed 180° out. I pulled it and rotated it and it slid right in.