BBC SPONSOR

No forward or reverse. 250 pro xs. 3B002917

Fishing my local Tuesday night pot tournament. When I got to the dock I came off plane idled a little closer put it in neutral to coast in. Went to go to reverse to ease in a little slower and nothing. Let my partner out and I had no forward or reverse.

This is the second engine on my boat. The first engine was replaced by mercury. (With other issues) I'm hoping it's something simple. Going to call my local dealer in the morning. Any ideas? I had no alarms, no signe of anything. I have not impacted anything with this motor. The only issue I've had is I had a tempest prop throw a blade not long after I had it installed. It has a little over 160hrs.

I also purchased a platinum service agreement that should cover this engine until 2027.

Thank you.

I’m only guessing but I’m thinking a shift actuator failure
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

3. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Or a shift cable that's not connected anymore....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    If there are no alarms when you turn the key on then I bet a cable has came unhooked. Actuator will cause continuous beeping after the key is on for a few seconds. I learnt that after driving 2 hours and no start at the ramp. It was fine the weekend prior.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    I did turn the key on before I left for the dealership, and it seemed normal. Last night after I realized I couldn't get in gear I shut the engine down and restarted it with no issues, but still wouldn't go into forward or reverse.

7. Member
    What year is the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    Fishing my local Tuesday night pot tournament. When I got to the dock I came off plane idled a little closer put it in neutral to coast in. Went to go to reverse to ease in a little slower and nothing. Let my partner out and I had no forward or reverse.

This is the second engine on my boat. The first engine was replaced by mercury. (With other issues) I'm hoping it's something simple. Going to call my local dealer in the morning. Any ideas? I had no alarms, no signe of anything. I have not impacted anything with this motor. The only issue I've had is I had a tempest prop throw a blade not long after I had it installed. It has a little over 160hrs.

I also purchased a platinum service agreement that should cover this engine until 2027.

Thank you.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supra360 View Post
    What year is the motor?
    Mercury doesn't use "years".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Got it back from the dealer said they could not find anything wrong. Picked it up took it out last night and after the 3rd stop it got stuck in forward gear. I was close to a different Mercury dealer and they confirmed it is a faulty shift actuator. They ordered one today and hopefully they can replace it this coming weekend.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar