106sv - thru hull transducer

I am considering adding one or two 106svs at the console. One of the requirements is that it needs to be able to read depth on plane at speed. Can a 106sv use a GT8HW-IH and GT54 with a Y cable? I've seen kits for $5-600 that have the thru hull and transom mount xducer but if a thru hull can't be paired with the GT54 that comes with the 106sv from bass pro/cabelas the deal isn't as sweet. Hoping someone on here has the setup I am looking for and can shed some light.
    Thanks

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    No, you can not use the GT8/GT54 with a Y cable......if its a single unit you would need to get the GT8/GT36 combo to read on plane. If you go with 2 units, then you can install the GT8 and connect to one unit and install the GT54 and connect to the second unit.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwasham View Post
    I am considering adding one or two 106svs at the console. One of the requirements is that it needs to be able to read depth on plane at speed. Can a 106sv use a GT8HW-IH and GT54 with a Y cable? I've seen kits for $5-600 that have the thru hull and transom mount xducer but if a thru hull can't be paired with the GT54 that comes with the 106sv from bass pro/cabelas the deal isn't as sweet. Hoping someone on here has the setup I am looking for and can shed some light.
    Thanks

With todays mapping and GPS, why would you need to read depth on plane at speed?

4. Member
    A speed of 50 or more you do not have time to react to shallow water. As the last post states, it is not a safety thing with depth at speed to know your depth. A good map is way better for steering away from shallows ahead of them. Anything you might see at a speed of 40 or more is not useful anyway. Your reaction time is too slow. 60 MPH is 88’ per second! JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go