Xi5 remote/pedal unresponsive issues

My Xi5 is great when it works, but lately it has been really testing my patience. I have had an issue where I deploy it, all the lights come on and GPS connects, but the remote or the pedal will do nothing. I sometimes can cycle the breaker to reset it, but I usually have to resync the remote or the pedal for it to work again. Once it syncs it works fine until I stow it and move spots, then I have to go back through this sequence. Has anyone experienced this problem? I was thinking maybe a software update but I have an HDS Gen1 and Elite 7 HDS, neither of which can be networked with this motor. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Member
    Possible low batteries in remote and pedal

I had a remote that got water in it that caused all kinds of issues. Remove the batteries from one and see if you can isolate the issue.

4. Member
    If you can do as stated by Blood I would try that. Then I would look for a buddy or some one who has a remote and try it on a trip. It may be a lose connection on the batteries or the plug if you have one.

5. Member
    I will swap some fresh batteries in and try to isolate if it is either just the foot pedal or the remote, should be out on Friday to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kbahus View Post
    I will swap some fresh batteries in and try to isolate if it is either just the foot pedal or the remote, should be out on Friday to test it.
    If its neither of those its the control board. My guess its the hand held remote. Let us know

7. Member
    Just a suggestion.... Take the batteries out of the remote and leave them out while you test the foot pedal. Then... if foot pedal test good put the batteries back in the remote. If the foot pedal test bad take the batteries out of it while you test the remote. My money is on a defective remote as well - and it'll drive you nutty until you discover that the remote will communicate with the head unit even if it's stuffed in storage box somewhere.

8. Member
    Great suggestions so far and if the remote has been communicating intermittently while trying the foot pedal that would explain some things. I haven't had time to get back on the water, but I did put new batteries in the remote to start with. I discovered the batteries were super loose in the terminals, there was zero tension on them. I bent the terminals in a bit to hold them snuggly, maybe this was causing the issue. I will report back my findings and am anxious to try the remote and foot pedal separately with the batteries removed.

9. Member
    Looks like it was the remote, I am guessing the loose terminals on the circuit board was the culprit allowing intermittent contact. I have been out probably 5 or 6 times now with no issues. Thanks for all of the helpful replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kbahus View Post
    Looks like it was the remote, I am guessing the loose terminals on the circuit board was the culprit allowing intermittent contact. I have been out probably 5 or 6 times now with no issues. Thanks for all of the helpful replies!