Charging system problem

Dropped a new cranking battery into my Triton. AGM 900 CCA 160 RC

I'm not getting charging voltage back to the battery. I checked the alternator with a DMM and read 25vdc directly off the alternator. Could my fusible link be blown? I'll check that tomorrow, along with following the charging system checking procedure in the service manual.
    2008 Triton Tr 21 x HP
    2008 Mercury 250 Pro XS 1B808607

2. Member
    check all fuses
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    If you check for voltage on the main charging wire at the alternator with the engine not running (the one with the nut) and you have battery voltage then your fusible link is good. If you have 25v while running then the voltage regulator has issues. Should be around 13.8 to 14.2 volts.

Did it work before you changed the battery? Are you absolutely sure you put all wires back on battery?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Fusible link lead blown. Replace and avoid inadvertently making reverse polarity connections at battery (this is result... takes about a microsecond).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks European, that is it. I just disconnected it and ohmed it out. It is bad. Ive had problems with the cranking battery for a while now. Been jumping it out and can't say for sure that the jumper cables were never hooked up backwards. I've never done it but wife and kids have jumped it before also.....
    2008 Triton Tr 21 x HP

6. Member
    European does this fusible link do anything other than be an in-line fuse. I'm thinking of putting a 100amp marine breaker in its place if plausible.
    2008 Triton Tr 21 x HP

I would not do that, too much delay time to go open circuit. Could result in a fried PCM.
    Use the mercury replacement part.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    Glad I asked, I didn't think about the time delay.
    2008 Triton Tr 21 x HP

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    I would not do that, too much delay time to go open circuit. Could result in a fried PCM.
    Use the mercury replacement part.
    or worse ...... thermal event , fiyaaa
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^ Both really good reasons. If it blew, it functioned as designed, and did it's job.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor