I hit a rock and knocked off the bottom 1/3 of my skeg & bent my prop.

I don't think it's safe to weld on another skeg on a boat that runs 80+ mph. I think it could be a problem later. Unexpected bow hook/bat turn and ejection of me and passenger.

I have Progressive insurance and am going to have it looked at by the insurance adjuster soon. I'm 99% sure they will just want to weld on another skeg like they "normally" do.

Who can I have them check with to see that my case is not normal?

Any and all high performance boat/motor gear heads know that it's not only dangerous, But could cause death.

Looking for some letterheads with advice against a weld repair....

Does anyone have more advice to share with me?

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

2. Member
    No advice Mark, but damn I’m glad you’re ok. Had to be scary. You sustain any injuries?

No.. My partner and I are fine. Only running 25 mph and barely felt the impact.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    Have your dealer write you an estimate and see what they suggest. They and even the manufacturer may agree directly with you that the lower unit requires replacement. Don’t rely on just an adjuster.

I had a lower unit replaced once because the skeg was broken down to the housing. An estimate and some good pictures were enough to satisfy the insurance company. They sent a check immediately minus my $100 deductible.

5. Member
    Have the Insurance company give you a written letter of liability for a welded skeg against failure at 70+ mph. I will bet they will reconsider replacement of the lower unit. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.