Thread: Boat title

Boat title

Can anyone answer a couple of questions on boat titles and trailer titles in North Carolina? Trying to buy a boat there and Iam from Michigan. Please pm me if you might be able to help. Thanks

If you are the original owner, there are a lot of boat dealers and local shops that can register and Title your boat. DMV will have to register your trailer. You can look it up on the NC Wildlife site.

If you have purchased your boat from some one else, you will need all the sales info you can get!

Boat: you will need a signed Bill of Sale and it would help to have it notarized. Signed boat registration from MI.

Trailer: Can be a ROYAL PITA. You will need a signed Bill of Sale and it would help to have it notarized. Proof of registration / tag from MI.

You cannot have too much proof of ownership for the boat and you won't have enough for the trailer. (Trailer I know first hand!)

Good luck.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Member
    Not specific to NC…..but pretty standard documents for purchase:

Make sure you get:
    -bill of sale for boat
    -bill of sale for trailer
    -title for boat
    -title for trailer (or certificate if origination)
    -certificate of origination for motor (if required for michigan)
    -copy of seller’s registration for boat
    -copy of seller’s registration for trailer
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

I'll echo what they said. My father had gifted me his ProCraft 1750 right before he passed away about 20 years ago. We're from Texas...total nightmare getting it registered in NC. Had to get his widow to do a bill of sale for the boat, the trailer and the motor. Of course I didn't find all of this out until AFTER I pulled the boat back to NC. Once it was registered to me it was fairly easy once I sold it years later. Just did bills of sale for everything for the buyer and had him sign and notarized them at the bank to make things easier for him.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin