Puma STS speed tips

Had my STS about 6 weeks now and am getting used to it, overall very solid ride. Would like some tips on jack plate height and how to "build speed"...I have read through about every post on the topic so far and want to see if my setup would change anything.

Setup/Conditions: Merc 250, 24p Fury, Bobs JP @ 1(per other threads on here), 4 lithium batteries, dual power poles, live wells empty, mod-heavy tackle load, 2 people, each tank 1/2 full, top speed 71.8 @ 5780rpm. This was on a slick calm Lake Champlain, water temps 62, air temp 70. I have seen 73 out of the boat solo.

I've tried to run the plate all the way down to 0 and up to 1.5 on the gauge, also tried to build speed up to 60 then bump the trim up as I go. The thing I am most concerned about is not getting enough rpm. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan
    Last edited by djtavilla; 05-30-2023 at 08:18 PM.

2. Member
    can you try a fury3 23p from dealer? need to get up to 6200ish
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    I have hit 76.2, very light load, 5900 RPM and had to back off cause it got a bit squirrely....
    Lots to learn up here lol.

23P and an Atlas at 9 on the gauge.

4. Member
    Every boat motor combo can be a tad different. The boat does not like full trim like other brands. Will run its best around 50-60% trim. On the boat I was running the other day around 1.5 on the bobs plate was best for my conditions.

5. Member
    That was a Puma STS?

6. Member
    My Puma Sts is pretty sensitive to weight. Tournament load with two guy full of full and water it averages 70.5-71.8 with a 23 fury @6150 . i have played with a bunch of props and the speed didnt really change that much. With a 25 bravo xs the average was 68-69 and with a 24 fury around 70 but the holeshot was terrible. Tempest was not any better. Mine is setup similar to yours with two 36v lithiums a 12v lithium house battery and a 31agm cranking and dual poles and a bobs jp.If i run my plate above 2 on the guage i loose most of the bow lift and speed falls off drastically. Also i just took my ultrex off and pust a powerpole move on and expected to pick up some speed with the weight difference and i did not really change. I can run a full load solo and it will run right at 75.

7. Member
    Josh-- curious about mounting the Move. Did you use the power pole universal mounting plate (UMP)? or did the Move match up to ultrex hole pattern?. I've got a new Puma STS coming in the next couple of months and will be installing a Move myself. I've installed lots of trolling motors, but this will be my first on Cat. I know it's a bit different with the backing plates and spacers/isolators above the deck, so just trying to figure out if I need to order a UMP or request anything special hardware wise from BCB. Also, would love to see some pictures of the Move on a Puma if you have time to post or could DM me. Just trying to calm my mind while I wait out production!

All, sorry for the side bar, hopefully I can add to the performance discussion in a month or two!

I just put a Move on a Cougar 203, and used the UMP, I pulled a Ghost, the pattern BCB uses does not line up with the Move stock mounting holes. The UMP worked perfect, I used the BCB factory backing plates. I'm sure the STS has a different front end, but on the Cougar you need either the UMP or the BCB factory spacers to get the Move high enough to clear the front trim and Nav switches. It's an easy install, takes longer to get the old one off than putting the Move on.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pp98 View Post
    Josh-- curious about mounting the Move. Did you use the power pole universal mounting plate (UMP)? or did the Move match up to ultrex hole pattern?. I've got a new Puma STS coming in the next couple of months and will be installing a Move myself. I've installed lots of trolling motors, but this will be my first on Cat. I know it's a bit different with the backing plates and spacers/isolators above the deck, so just trying to figure out if I need to order a UMP or request anything special hardware wise from BCB. Also, would love to see some pictures of the Move on a Puma if you have time to post or could DM me. Just trying to calm my mind while I wait out production!

All, sorry for the side bar, hopefully I can add to the performance discussion in a month or two!
    I just mounted one on my sts. Although I had my boat delivered with no trolling motor mounted so I had a fresh front end. The hole pattern is a little different so if you already have a trolling motor mounted on yours then you will have to use the UMP. If you don’t then you will be able to go straight to the boat. However the backing plates that bass cat provides will have to be modified just a little until they get a few and can get some made.

10. Member
    Every hull/motor/prop combination is slightly different. What’s up front as far as TM and Graphs? Every pound on the nose is going to cost you speed. Do you have digital gauges? If so what’s your trim number at wide open?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pp98 View Post

I tried without the ump and nothing lined up so I did end up with the ump plate on mine. Overall it was a pretty easy install.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASStex1988 View Post
    I just mounted one on my sts. Although I had my boat delivered with no trolling motor mounted so I had a fresh front end. The hole pattern is a little different so if you already have a trolling motor mounted on yours then you will have to use the UMP. If you don’t then you will be able to go straight to the boat. However the backing plates that bass cat provides will have to be modified just a little until they get a few and can get some made.

I believe my trim gauge was around 7 when I found it really wanted to walk.

This was supposed to have been a reply to Limbhanger51

13. Member
    Mike, Basstex, and Josh- Thanks for the info on the Move install

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASStex1988 View Post
    I had some good progress this weekend, got it up to 74.9MPH solo with 80% in the port fuel tank and 40% in the starboard tank, I do have a good amount of weight in the front of the boat. Dual 12" graphs, Ghost, Cornfield and two active target boxes at the front of the rod locker. I over-trimmed early on in hopes of getting air under the boat to about 9 on the trim then brought it back to about 6.5 before bumping it up to about 7.2.

15. Member
    New STS with 2 8'blades full fuel on port tank 1/2 on starboard. Full live wells, medium load, 2 people - at the moment the 31 crank battery and 3 regular wet cells (it came that way) I ran the fury 3 24 with all vents open just me no livewell water and top end was fine - I'm not a top speed guy but I thought the hole shot could be better. I had a 23 p so put it on for club tournament yesterday all vents plugged shut - hole shot was worse than terrible - I plan on switching the batteries out to either leave the agm cranking and add 12v lithium and 36 v lithium but for now I plan on removing all the plugs in the 23 to see what that does - from the above can you tell me what the plug set up is?

thanks

16. Member
    I have no plugs in
    Quote Originally Posted by MDWood View Post
    New STS with 2 8'blades full fuel on port tank 1/2 on starboard. Full live wells, medium load, 2 people - at the moment the 31 crank battery and 3 regular wet cells (it came that way) I ran the fury 3 24 with all vents open just me no livewell water and top end was fine - I'm not a top speed guy but I thought the hole shot could be better. I had a 23 p so put it on for club tournament yesterday all vents plugged shut - hole shot was worse than terrible - I plan on switching the batteries out to either leave the agm cranking and add 12v lithium and 36 v lithium but for now I plan on removing all the plugs in the 23 to see what that does - from the above can you tell me what the plug set up is?

thanks