Thread: 250 L Pro XS

250 L Pro XS

Serial Number 3B371858

Motor has 20 hours. It ran fine until it stared "surging" or "revving" up and down while running this weeking. The best way I can describe this is that it was like it would get fuel intermittently. The boat idles fine and would sometimes plane off fine but it would eventually begin the surging or revving and finally lose power to stay on plane. I had to limp back to the dock this way. No alarms whatsoever. I wish I could tell you all the pressures and such but I wasn't looking at that.

I have dropped the boat at the dealer and will update this thread as I learn more. If anyone has experience with this issue I would greatly appreciate feedback. The tech had not heard of this problem before.

2. Member
    I had a similar issue last year and thought it was a fuel related issue. I dropped off at my dealer and wound up being the electrical rigging...eventually, Merc requires a pure (??) connect to the main battery. I guess they rearranged the connections to ensure that the motor was first on the post. I'm not fluid in this explanation, so apologize beforehand. This also fixed my issue of popping the 5amp breaker for the motor which controlled the trim and jack plate. That being said, your deal should be able to fix.

3. Member
    "clean power". Wait for Don he will explain the clean power requirement.

Might be this ?? If your set screw backed out then this might be your culprit. Mine did and the issues you describe were exactly mine

2024 Bass Cat Puma STS
    2024 Mercury V8 ProXS 250hp

5. Member
    Yep...Clean Power..thanks the correct term. The 5amp fuse was for "clean power as well. The dealer also observed a fault "Critical" - Low Voltage. I had them change out the main battery and install a PPCharge....no issues since.

6. Member
    I just got news from the dealer. Fuel supply module (?) is bad. Apparently they are back ordered until the end of June. I've got nothing good to say about any of that so I'm going to stop typing here

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Michael- That's pretty rare (not impossible, but definitely rare).

Personally, I'd have put a fresh fuel filter on it and checked to see if the problem persisted. Those are really good filters.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Sounds like they replaced the filter to no avail.

My dealer, Clark Marine Sales near Nashville TN (they are exceptional by the way) somehow talked Mercury into sending a FSM.

I'll update this thread with results once the repair is made.

9. Member
    Michael....sorry to hear. Sound similar to the post Verado missing...

10. Member
    Replacement of fuel supply module resolved the issue. Mercury and Clark marine came thru on this, diagnosed and resolved under warranty, very grateful for this.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldmck View Post
    Replacement of fuel supply module resolved the issue. Mercury and Clark marine came thru on this, diagnosed and resolved under warranty, very grateful for this.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

12. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldmck View Post
    Good deal.

Dale Sinclair original