250 ss Accessories

Anyone have the part nombers to add water pressure and Speed to the factory gauge ..can it be connected to a Humminbird GPS Puck for the speed reading ?

2. Member
    Which gauge do you have? There are 2 different factory digital gauges (C-10 or SMG4) and there are different answers for both.

And of course analogue gauges.

If the Humminbird puck is NMEA2000 and its connected to the same network, then any Suzuki digital gauge can receive and use its data. Again, it requires different steps to enable this depending on which digital gauge.

3. Member
    I have the SMG4

4. Member
    With SMG4 and the Humminbird puck connected to the same NMEA2000 network, the SMG4 will take GPS data from it.

However, you need to go into the SMG4 menu, initial settings, sensors, and turn Water Speed to OFF. It will then use SOG received from the network to do speed, trip distance, trip time and mpg.

I dont believe that SMG4 will display water pressure. I had a look at the list of NMEA2000 pgn’s (data identifiers) that it receives and transmits and water pressure isn’t there. Which is why I doubt that it will show that info on its display.

I just checked on Brownspoint Marine website under Suzuki gauges/sensors and the NMEA2000 water pressure sensor has been discontinued. So it appears that its no longer available. I dont know if there is any after-market alternative.

I would add that all Suzuki engines have two overheat alarms that might address your concerns -

Temp absolute = when the engine reaches the factory preset “too hot” level

Temp gradient = when the engine temp changes too rapidly but has not yet reached the Temp Absolute level. I would think that if for example the engine height was too high on the jackplate, causing insufficient water pressure, then this alarm would be activated, and it would arguably happen before you had a chance to notice the water pressure drop below the necessary level. Unless you were watching it constantly.

Also, if you network SMG4 to other displays, you can show a numerical value for engine temperature rather than just see it on SMG4 in a bar graph - it can be shown either on a engine data page as a gauge, or as a data overlay item on many displays.

So you can watch engine temp as a proxy for water pressure. The two of course are closely related.

Once you get your trim and jackplate heights set up you can then keep them at that level in future, knowingbthat engine temp will be fine.

BTW the overheat alarms are activated before damage has been done, so if you respond appropriately and quickly there should be no problems.

FYI attached is the list of pgn’s sent and received by SMG4:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 05-31-2023 at 03:35 AM.

5. Member
    So is there a cable that will attach the gps puck to the gauge ?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gascop View Post
    So is there a cable that will attach the gps puck to the gauge ?
    I believe that you will need the following cable and put it on the NMEA 2000 network for the SMG4.

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...tion/nmea-2000
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

7. Member
    It only works via a NMEA2000 network.

First you need to be certain that the Humminbird GPS puck is NMEA2000 or NMEA0183. By the way you are replying, I am unsure, because if the Bird GPS puck is indeed a NMEA2000 model, it would have to be connected to a NMEA2000 network already.

If its NMEA0183, it has multiple wires that would be connected directly to the Humminbird display wires. 0183 is point to point eg GpS puck directly connected to display. One device talks to one other device. ITS “old technology”. Noah used it on the Ark, I suspect! LOL!

SMG4 is only able to be connected to other devices via NMEA2000.

NMEA2000 is different, like a computer network. Multiple devices are each connected to the network backbone, and all devices can communicate with all the others simultaneously.

So step 1 = determine whether the Bird puck is NMEA2000.

If it is, and its already installed and being used on the boat, it must ALREADY be connected to a NMEA2000 network. To get it to talk to SMG4 is then very simple.

Add an extra NMEA2000 T piece to the existing network backbone, and run a NMEA2000 drop cable from there to the NMEA2000 plug on the SMG4. Then, go into SMG4 menu, open the initial settings menu, select sensors, and set the water speed sensor to off. SMG4 will then use GPS signals from the puck.

The NMEA2000 T piece and cable are generic, you can use any manufacturer’s versions, they all play nicely together.

If the puck is only NMEA0183, then it wont work with SMG4. Out of luck.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-01-2023 at 03:53 AM.

8. Member
    Mine are the Original core humminbirds so im probably out of luck

9. Member
    I dare say you are correct.

For some reason Humminbird was very late joining the NMEA2000 club and stayed with 0183 for far too long.

10. Member
    What displays do you have on this boat - sonar, gps etc? Make and model would help.

11. Member
    Only displays are the humminbird and the Suzuki Gaugevon a TR21 Triton bass boat

12. Member
    Ok. Sounds like you’re out of luck…..

or, its a real good excuse to update your electronics!

Pretty well all modern mid and higher range MFD’s will have inbuilt GPS antennas and NMEA2000 connectivity. SMG4 can take data from them without needing a separate puck.

If you decide to get a new MFD, Lowrance is the best in terms of reliability/compatibility with the SMG4. For full fuel data you just need to add the Fuel Data Manager device to the network.

At the other end of the scale, Garmin seems to have the most problems playing nicely with it. Although most times it plays well, but sometimes, it just doesn’t.

Other brands dont seem to have significant numbers of reported issues that I have seen.

Happy to provide feedback on possible choices if you pick some options.

13. Member
    Wonder whst the puck on my spot lock trolling motor works on ?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gascop View Post
    Wonder whst the puck on my spot lock trolling motor works on ?
    Follow the cable from the puck. If it leads to a NMEA2000 backbone, then its NMEA2000. You could then just add an extra T to that backbone and run a drop cable from there to the SMG4.

15. Member
    Yea it just leads to the trolling motor ...gues i need to see whst system it uses !

16. Member
    If its a point to point connection (puck connected directly to trolling motor) it wont be NMEA2000.