Question So put it in baby talk for me!

I have a 898 that has GPS, SI, DI and traditional down sonar. Plus LAKEMASTER CHIP which I love( yes love)! I think my unit is dying...you have to turn it on about 4-5 times before it is warmed enough to stay on. I don't know the difference between Mega & Helix!! What model and systems to I buy to get back to where I am with 898? Anybody got a good 898 they would like to sell? Thanks for the help!

MEGA stands for MegaHertz (MHz) which is one of the Imaging frequencies. MegaHertz is 1000 KiloHertz (kHz).
    Your 898 has two Imaging frequencies (455 kHz and 800 kHz).
    A MEGA SI unit in the Helix 8, 9, 10, 12, and 15 has three Imaging frequencies---CHIRPed 455 kHz, CHIRPed 800 kHz, and CHIRPed 1200 kHz (1.2 MHz).

The Helix 9 units are the price range equivalent of the 800 series. The current Helix model in that size that matches is the Helix 9 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G4N.

There were three generations of 800 series SI units: 898c SI Combo, 898c HD SI Combo, and 899ci HD SI Combo.
    Helix units are in their fourth generation.

Helix units replaced all the units that had number names.

The first generation Helix 9 SI GPS is the next generation after the 899ci HD SI Combo.

Helix units have the same operating system and menus as the number series.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    MEGA stands for MegaHertz (MHz) which is one of the Imaging frequencies. MegaHertz is 1000 KiloHertz (kHz).
    A MEGA SI unit in the Helix 8, 9, 10, 12, and 15 has three Imaging frequencies---CHIRPed 455 kHz, CHIRPed 800 kHz, and CHIRPed 1200 kHz (1.2 MHz).

The Helix 9 units are the price range equivalent of the 800 series. The current Helix model in that size that matches is the Helix 9 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G4N.

There were three generations of 800 series SI units: 898c SI Combo, 898c HD SI Combo, and 899ci HD SI Combo.

The first generation Helix 9 SI GPS is the next generation after the 899ci HD SI Combo.

Thank you sir.......if my 898 dies..... I hope it don't.........I will buy the one you listed!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post

Will my LAKEMASTER chip work in the new unit?
    The help is much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    Will my LAKEMASTER chip work in the new unit?
    The help is much appreciated!
    Yes and probably better.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Grab a helix and don't look back