first oil change 2023 250 sho

I read in the book it says 20hrs, seems like my dealer told me at 10hrs. I'm considering changing it at 10 now with conventional oil then again at 20hrs and putting synthetic back. Thoughts?

2. Member
    20 hours. You can find better ways to squander a hundred bucks.

Follow the manual.

3. Member
    Yes, manual says 20 hrs. But it also depends on how much it's "making oil" during break-in. Check the oil level frequently during break-in...If there's a lot of gas in it I would change it sooner.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

4. Member
    I would be careful going to synthetic until maybe after the first 100 hours.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    ^^^ THIS ^^^
    Last edited by PSM207; 05-31-2023 at 06:20 AM.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

6. Member
    Like has been said, stick with 20hrs unless you're making excessive oil.
    If it is making excessive oil, change it early with dino oil then take it to the lake on a calm day and make it scream for as long as you can.

I changed to synthetic at my 20hr change and had no issue, but mine didn't make any oil after 4 or 5 hours.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Can you run conventional up to the 100hr mark I assume? If i change at 20hrs

8. Member
    So is it recommended to change the oil within the break in period (1-10hrs) if it's making oil?

9. Member
    After the 20 hr change you're good till 100hrs OR 12 months. Used oil sitting in a crankcase for extended time starts to break down and collect moisture.

Only change within the first 10 if your oil level gets excessively high from fuel dilution. Many people will suck some out through the dipstick tube instead of changing oil early when it creeps above the full line.

But, if your oil level starts to creep, you can get ahead of it by going on a long run at 5k rpm and higher. Get the engine up in the power band, build heat, it'll evaporate the fuel and seat the rings.

One last thing, don't be afraid to trim the motor up during break in. These aren't old 2 strokes that you needed to keep trimmed down and lug to flood the cylinder liners with fuel and oil to keep them from getting too hot while smoothing out burs from manufacturing. On the plasma lined cylinders getting them hot is your friend.

10. Member
    I would buy a $20k motor, ignore the Owner's manual, and follow instructions from a bunch of unknowns on the internet.

I see nothing in my manual regarding non-synthetic oil.

Blow it up with Pennzoil in it, then ask Yamaha to cover under warranty.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post

I see nothing in my manual regarding non-synthetic oil.
    Actually it doesn't say squat about conventional or synthetic oil. I believe it states use Yamalube 4m fc-w or marine engine oil in 5w30 or 10w40.

The only hint at synthetic or conventional is the fact that yamalube synthetic is 5w and conventional is 10w. Any motor oil with an fc-w stamp on the bottle IS following the manual.

12. Member
    My manual (2020 200SHO) says API SE/SF/SG/SH/SJ/SL recommended. Pages 16 and 18.

Not my point. My point was to follow the manual.

13. Member
    "My point was to follow the manual"

I followed the manual precisely as the oil rose on the dipstick between every service on my 2017 225 SHO! I bought an oil pump and pumped oil out multiple times between every 100 hour oil change interval. I followed it precisely during break in, and I followed it precisely having the engine serviced by a Yamaha dealer at precisely the exact intervals called for in the manual. I followed the manual precisely until the day after my 300 hour service, which was performed by a certified Yamaha service center, when the powerhead threw a rod through the crankcase. Yamaha replaced the powerhead with a new long block at their expense. After that experience, I threw away the manual and followed the instructions of a bunch of internet unknowns by breaking in the new powerhead with the "run it like you stole it" method. Over 500 hours later on the new powerhead (over 800 hours total), the engine runs perfectly. And the oil level doesn't budge between oil changes!

14. Member
    I did mine at 10 with conventional then like 27 with synthetic. Ran the snot out of it in between and never made a drop of oil.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff7y28 View Post
    "My point was to follow the manual"

I followed the manual precisely as the oil rose on the dipstick between every service on my 2017 225 SHO! I bought an oil pump and pumped oil out multiple times between every 100 hour oil change interval. I followed it precisely during break in, and I followed it precisely having the engine serviced by a Yamaha dealer at precisely the exact intervals called for in the manual. I followed the manual precisely until the day after my 300 hour service, which was performed by a certified Yamaha service center, when the powerhead threw a rod through the crankcase. Yamaha replaced the powerhead with a new long block at their expense. After that experience, I threw away the manual and followed the instructions of a bunch of internet unknowns by breaking in the new powerhead with the "run it like you stole it" method. Over 500 hours later on the new powerhead (over 800 hours total), the engine runs perfectly. And the oil level doesn't budge between oil changes!
    +1.

I still haven't personally heard of a case where someone's had a powerhead fail prematurely who broke it in by running it like they stole it from the get go. Now breaking it in by the book on the other hand, couldn't tell you how many I've heard of that's failed. It just doesn't get hot enough.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO