hmmm...never happened before

Last trip out....2006 200HPDI...seldom ever run "wide open" anymore...keep it around 50-55mph but decided to open it up and the engine would "miss or hesitate" at WOT like it had water in the gas; ....drop it back down to where I normally run it and everything was fine...I change plugs yearly along with changing the VST filter and cartridge filter in the bilge....except this year I buggered up the head on one of the little screws on the VST and couldn't get to the VST filter to change it...the two fuel pumps on the side of the engine are new...could it be the VST filter can't keep up with the increase fuel demand at WOT or maybe an electrical issue ? Thanks in advance

2. Member
    "could it be the VST filter can't keep up with the increase fuel demand at WOT"

That or high pressure pump filters would be my guess.

3. Member
    My buddies did that and it was a bad battery! Surpised me!

4. Member
    Not familiar with that model, but could it be hitting rev limiter? I've had a few outboards that would "bump" when they hit redline.

5. Member
    taking it to the shop...will report back with findings

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CSS View Post
    Not familiar with that model, but could it be hitting rev limiter? I've had a few outboards that would "bump" when they hit redline.
    This sounds like the right answer
    06 Ranger Z21
    23 Yamaha SHO 250

7. Member
    Another thing is that you mentioned the VST filter and "cartridge" filter in the bilge. Traditionally the cartridge filter refers to the inline metal canister filter that is after the VST and there is another filter right where the fuel line enters the cowl. "Mystery Filters" are another one to look at. There are a few in the high pressure fuel pump and then 1 at each injector.