Tackle for Red Snapper Fishing in the Gulf

For you guys that do a little offshore fishing for snapper, what is your setup? Sabiki rig sizes for live bait, snapper rod and reel setup, line size, hook size, lead weight size range, etc. School me. Just wanna know what you guys use on here. Thanks!

2. Member
    Penn fierce spinning combos. MH to H. 65lb braid to a 50-80 lb fluro leader. I never use weights. Flat line outfishes weighted rigs all the time. I used frozen cigar minnows but live bait would be better.

3. Member
    5/0 hook typically

4. Member
    My GOM and Atlantic setup is similar, with GOM being on the lighter side.

BG5000, 7' Heavy (20-30 lb), fishing finder rig - 50 lb braid main to swivel with 40 lb mono (2'), swivel, enough weight to hold bottom (3-8 oz), 20 lb flour leader (2'), 4 to 6/0 circle, squid (any cut bait will work). They love croaker too. The mid leader of heavier mono will help reduce line twist on the drop. Or just go with a basic knocker rig and let it fly.

You can start heavier and go lighter if the bite is tough or start lighter and go heavier if you start getting cut off on rocks. I've used a 12 lb leader and 40 lb leader with success.
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

I like a Torium 20 on a 7 foot heavy Shimano Talus. 65lb braid to a 50lb mono leader. 5/6 Circle hook…you have to be prepared for 14 inchers and 25lbers. I rig a basic Carolina Rig. Weight is going to vary with current…we seem to get away with 4-8oz off Texas coast.

We try to cast net bait and also sabiki…I use a 1 oz weight on the sabiki tie to any old 4000 spinner rig and toss down to the bait.

6. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GregA View Post
    My GOM and Atlantic setup is similar, with GOM being on the lighter side.

BG5000, 7' Heavy (20-30 lb), fishing finder rig - 50 lb braid main to swivel with 40 lb mono (2'), swivel, enough weight to hold bottom (3-8 oz), 20 lb flour leader (2'), 4 to 6/0 circle, squid (any cut bait will work). They love croaker too. The mid leader of heavier mono will help reduce line twist on the drop. Or just go with a basic knocker rig and let it fly.

You can start heavier and go lighter if the bite is tough or start lighter and go heavier if you start getting cut off on rocks. I've used a 12 lb leader and 40 lb leader with success.
    I am curious about this. Is it because of the double swivels? I try to use longer leaders and they always get tangled.

Shimano speedmaster size 16, Penn med/heavy reel, 50# braid main line, 6' of 30# floro for leader to a 5/0 or 6/0 inline snelled circle hook. I love anything live or bonita strips for bait but they will eat anything you put in front of them honestly.

For sabikis use a good one. Don't buy the cheap ones and learn how to rig them. This video was incredibly helpful for me when I first started. These Seagar Invisible Lines or Hayabusa are my favorits. The weight with a loop worked fantastic.

7. Member
    This is good stuff guys. Thanks for the Sabiki video. Really helpful.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    I am curious about this. Is it because of the double swivels? I try to use longer leaders and they always get tangled.

Shimano speedmaster size 16, Penn med/heavy reel, 50# braid main line, 6' of 30# floro for leader to a 5/0 or 6/0 inline snelled circle hook. I love anything live or bonita strips for bait but they will eat anything you put in front of them honestly.

For sabikis use a good one. Don't buy the cheap ones and learn how to rig them. This video was incredibly helpful for me when I first started. These Seagar Invisible Lines or Hayabusa are my favorits. The weight with a loop worked fantastic.

It's because the top leader is heavier. Still need to control the drop, pausing everyone few seconds, and you won't get many line twists. Use good quality barrel swivels also. My deepest drops are 180', with 12-14 oz lead.
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

9. Member
    I was just an ol poor boy when I was doing It but I had a ugly stick Tiger rod, BPS brand spinning reel, 50lb ande mono, 6oz weight, good 100-150lb swivel, 3’ 80-100lb mono leader, circle hook of choice, live cigar minnows.

Used to haul my old blue wave to Florida and this setup caught a lot of snapper, AJ, kings, and sharks.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

10. Member
    Actually this was 10 years or so ago and I think my actual shark leaders were 80-100lb mono, but my snapper rigs were same everything but just 50lb mono leader.
    Last edited by Cbump; 05-30-2023 at 12:23 PM.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS