adding 2nd AT1... location decision time...

So, have made the plunge and purchased a 2nd AT1, with the intent of running one in Forward and one in Scout, diplaying on two HDS Lives...

Now, as for transducer location, looking for some input. I have a DD26 LiveFoot Pole Mount. My original plan was to put one Transducer on TM in Scout Mode (due to wide angle not being critical of exact TM alignment), an the Forward view on the Pole Mount.

But, I've been looking at how I am using AT, and essentially when running a bank, or ledge (such as they are in FL, anyway) I find myself using Scout mode more often that not, and having the ducer tuned over toward the bank or ledge as I work down it. So, if on the TM shaft I would constantly be turning back and forth, or if using a route or go to cursor type move, the view would be bascially more towards travel directly than fishing direction, if that makes sense.

So now thinking of putting Forward on the TM, and Scout on the Pole. That way can use Pole to move scout left and right regardless of what I am doing with TM. And if in deeper water using forward mode, I can "chase the fish" with the TM which seems to be the most popular method of using forward mode.

OR, I could put both on the pole, for that matter. Or both on the TM even, and delete the pole. Too many options lol, so figured I would send it out to BBC land for input.

In Florida, mostly fishing shallow ie 10ft or less, unless fishing shell bars or ledges on the main river (St. Johns). Usually in some type of current, whether minor flow from creeks in/out from main river, or tidal flow of St. Johns, etc.

EDIT - OH, also should have mentioned I have the 360 nose cone as well, so have to figure out how to insert that into the equation as well lol... TBH, I don't use it a whole lot, as typically I need TM control so rarely kick off a scan unless I'm really hunting structure for some reason and am in Forward mode with AT.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 05-29-2023 at 06:13 PM.

Found this vid on YT where Gleason has Forward on Turrent and Scout on TM... I think this might be where I got the idea to do it this way originally, but now I am not sure if this is the best way for me....

3. Member
    You’re a bad dude, if you can run a TM and extra pole, while viewing both screens at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    You’re a bad dude, if you can run a TM and extra pole, while viewing both screens at the same time.
    Simplicity does lean towards having both on same location, whether pole or TM shaft. I guess I'll just have to try a few options and see what works best.

5. Member
    I, personally, would not put FFS transducer on the trolling motor shaft. Seems like it could get real frustrating real quick.

Here's a mock up of the "single shaft" option - don't have all the parts yet (2nd AT doesn't arrive till later this week) so using some spare parts I had laying around to see how things fit/sorted out. But this would work on either the TM Shaft as shown, or on the Pole shaft (minus the black extension bar which isn't needed on Pole mount).

Or, could still split similar to what Gleason has. I guess I'm just going to have to try a few different options as there probably is not one answer that fits everything/everyone.

Everything on one shaft - simplist mounting solution/use case, no extra poles or foot switches et. tranducers always in sync.

Spliting with Forward on Pole (ala Gleason) - this makes sense - can search with TM and scout, and if you need to stop/spot lock you can still target/chase fish with pole mount. This probably makes the most sense for most people. I just noticed i seem to use Scout more often so thought I might benefit from the opposite based on situations I mentioned in the OP.

I suppose theortically, if I am careful with mounting, and make sure to route cables well with proper slack etc - both transducers could be moved from one mode to the other, so that would be best of both worlds. Just have one on pole, one on TM, and have it configured the way I usually would use, and could rotate them if the situation arose.

I guess that means I am destined to be a dual pole guy... I had thought it might be nice to not have the extra pole mount as it is just more to fuss with sometimes :).

Well it arrives today and I still haven't decided lol...

Arrived, mostly installed, still need to put the bow mount/Lives back together, but the wiring and module mounting, etc is all done. Had to move the existing AT1 to make a bit of room, and also had to rewire it as well, since it was originially wired in at the bow and I wanted to move it to the Blue Sea Fused block with the new one. So a bit more work than I originally planned. Also wired each wake up wire via a switch to seperate MFDs on bow, so I can turn one or the other module completley off if not needed.

Decided to start in "Gleason mode" ie Scout mode on TM, using the small oem bracket on top of the motor barrel, bent up a bit to shoot more shallow. Forward mode on the Live Foot pole mount with the Rytek mount.

Not sure it will stay that way, but figure have to start somewhere lol. I think I might prefer the opposite, but this seems like the most popular config (of the few that run two, anyway lol).

Mostly done, just some minor adjustments to cable runs/ties and unit mounting angles, etc... Odd thing is, the AT source is named for the sw version, so it was easy to confirm which was which when booting up, which also confirmed I got all my wiring connected correctly as far as wake up wires, switches, etc lol. But now I've updated the new one so both sources are same sw version and thus named the same. Unless one is appeneded with a -1 or something but the name/version is so long it's off the screen. But, if for some reason they get out of sync, should be straitfoward enough to use the mode to determine whcih is which.

Will test it out this weekend, hoping for the best. And hoping I didn't waste a grand

Well I am going to call this a success... I was/am actually suprised at how little interferance there is with the two units. There is a "ring" displayed on forward where the scout range is set to, ie if Scout is set to 64, then I see a ring at basically 55 yards or so on Forward - but other than that it's pretty clean view. Stop sonar on the Scout ducer and the ring dissapears.

Still not set on the ducer locations, and may reverse them, ie scout on pole and FFS on TM as I originally though to do, but overally I'm happy with the results.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 06-03-2023 at 07:08 PM.

Forgot I took some screenshots... these were taken pretty much one right after the other...

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Well I am going to call this a success... I was/am actually suprised at how little interferance there is with the two units. There is a "ring" displayed on forward where the scout range is set to, ie if Scout is set to 64, then I see a ring at basically 55 yards or so on Forward - but other than that it's pretty clean view. Stop sonar on the Scout ducer and the ring dissapears.

Still not set on the ducer locations, and may reverse them, ie scout on pole and FFS on TM as I originally though to do, but overally I'm happy with the results.

Have you ever tried to run both in the forward mode with them pointed 15-20 degrees apart? Was wondering how much interference there would be.

Quote Originally Posted by fisheye216 View Post
    Have you ever tried to run both in the forward mode with them pointed 15-20 degrees apart? Was wondering how much interference there would be.
    I have not, but was told by a few folks who run dual AT1's having them in the same mode is the worst case scenario producing the most interferance.

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post

Actually, going to try the "single shaft" solution, so moved both transducers to the TM similar to how pictured in post #6 above. Try it that way (simpler to control everything, but loosing some flexibilty in aiming differently). Affects when/how I can use Ghost 360 as well, but I figure I'll be using one or the other, not both at the same time...

Single shaft worked pretty good, I liked that they were in sync, so no fussing with pedal and pole buttons. But, I didn't like that they were tied to the TM, having gotten used to using a Pole Mount previously. Think i will try both on the pole mount next, and see how that does. Will free up anchor mode use, as well as Ghost 360, etc. while still having independant control over the transducers. Won't be able to try this config till the weekend, but will report back if anyone is actually reading the thread lol.

EDIT well that didn't work... there just isn't enough room on the pole for both mounts, clearance wise. Also, scout view mount makes the ducer stick out that it can't clear the TM shaft rotating around. There are workarounds, I could drop the TM all the way which would allow me to lenthen the pole mount pole, which probably would allow for both to be mounted, but I don't like running my TM that deep here in FL. A different mount might make a difference as well, but for now I'm going back to plan A which is Scout mode on the TM, and Forward on the pole.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 06-05-2023 at 06:51 PM.

the thread that wouldn't die lol...

Ran the "split" setup today, scout on Motor head and Foward on Pole mount, but I really miss the convience of both on the same shaft. Even though I had the pole mount, I found myself "steering" the Pole Mount transducer with the TM by turning the boat, it was just simpler and quicker than coming off the TM pedal to hit the pole buttons...

So I'm back to both on the TM, and put both on the Motor head, will see how that works and still have the Ryteck mount I can move the Forward 'ducer to as well.

17. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Helpful!

18. Member
    You are learning what I have personally found as well. Unless you are a crappie fisherman, the value of a pole mount is situational at best, and a pain in the transom. That is why I am running my dual AT2's on my trolling motor, and will be looking forward to the Revolution Sonar mount in the future where I can keep them on the trolling motor but have the advantages of a pole mount without the disadvantages.
    ciao,
    Marc