Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BBC SPONSOR

Looking at used trucks that came from Canada.

Been looking at used trucks between 2017, and 2021. It seems many originated in Canada. Other than they use salt in the winter is there any other down side from getting a slightly used truck that has come from our friends up north? The models I'm looking at is f150's and Titans.

2. Member
    Yup. Just the rust from salt. A good one will have some type of rust treatment.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

They wouldn't be any different from trucks that came from your northern states.

4. Member
    I would rather have a truck driven in the salt than the brine crap some states use.

Look for used trucks that come from Florida... unless they were soaked in salt water from their last hurricane!
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

6. Member
    No worse than Ohio, PA or NY trucks...
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

7. Member
    Look at the underneath for corrosion..........no worst than buying a truck from Iliinois that has seen a few winters.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdSVT View Post
    No worse than Ohio, PA or NY trucks...
    This ^

The reason you see a lot of used Canadian trucks in the US is the exchange rate. When it's higher than the Can dollar by more than say 25% it pays well for them to send them south . Dealer hunting buddy of mine told me that when the dollar was about 55 cents on the US dollar he was shipping every lease return truck south. Said that if he could he would send all the new ones south but trade regs did not permit

10. Member
    Speedometer will be in kilometers.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs & 4 step Trick Step
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

11. Member
    I bought a used 2015 RAM from a dealer and when I took it in for a recall, they said that Dodge would not honor recalls on Canadian vehicles. I told them it was a safety issue and it could injure me or someone else. Then they fixed the recall for me, so I'm not sure what the guy was trying to pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
    Speedometer will be in kilometers.
    If the speedo has digital like my f150 you can pick whichever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by posmallie View Post
    I bought a used 2015 RAM from a dealer and when I took it in for a recall, they said that Dodge would not honor recalls on Canadian vehicles. I told them it was a safety issue and it could injure me or someone else. Then they fixed the recall for me, so I'm not sure what the guy was trying to pull.
    Some dealers will try to pull that. I had a problem while in OBX and it was minor so warranty wasn't needed but they tried to tell me that it wasn't covered. RAMs and others are covered in Canada, US and Mexico. It's right in the owners manual. The dealer I deal with told me that many US dealers will try to claim they're not covered.

14. Member
    seen a toyota that a customer owns get denied for a frame replacement recall because it was sold in Canada. told him to take it to a Canadian dealer across from Detroit
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

15. Member
    I just bought a 21 f150 last week that came from canada. Only thing extra was a piece of paper saying you acknowledge it came from canada originally. Other than that it was like buying any vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    seen a toyota that a customer owns get denied for a frame replacement recall because it was sold in Canada. told him to take it to a Canadian dealer across from Detroit
    I would expect that Toyota is the same as Dodge and RAM, where Toyota vehicles are warrantied in Canada/US & Mexico.

17. Member
    I remember back in the day when a Canada, Mexico, and US built cars and trucks were all different. Things like a Chevelle with a 6cyl 3 speed manual trans from the 50's. sold as new showroom cars. The grilles, bumpers, trim etc. would not interchange, interiors had different design's.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 520runner View Post
    The reason you see a lot of used Canadian trucks in the US is the exchange rate. When it's higher than the Can dollar by more than say 25% it pays well for them to send them south . Dealer hunting buddy of mine told me that when the dollar was about 55 cents on the US dollar he was shipping every lease return truck south. Said that if he could he would send all the new ones south but trade regs did not permit
    This is correct.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    I would rather have a truck driven in the salt than the brine crap some states use.
    We have both here.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    They wouldn't be any different from trucks that came from your northern states.
    Some of my older GMCs started out in Canada to begin with.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast