New Carpet Questions/Advice

The carpet in my home needs to be replaced. The current carpet was installed when the house was built in 2005. Only the four bedrooms in my house are carpeted. The rest of the house is hardwood or tile. I have never had carpet installed and would appreciate any advice that the BBC carpet experts can provide. I'm hoping it will not cost a small fortune. Thanks in advance for any information.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Same here...

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

3. Member
    Be careful of those "Discount" "Factory outlet" "Big XXX" type stores.

4. Member
    I know a few flooring guys and they all have told me to check the squares on the back side of the carpet samples. The the smaller the squares, the better the quality of carpet.

5. Member
    Spend any extra cash on a denser pad upgrade. Insist that theu installers use power stretchers, not rely on knee kickers (or you'll be paying to have it restretched in a few years).

I just received a quote on a decent carpet with a quality pad from HD. Room is a 10x11
    with a closet. just over $600.00.
    I believe if you have more than 500 sq ft installed. The installation is free.

7. Member
    Best pad available with vapor barrier is what you need. Get carpet from local high traffic store.

8. Member
    We got ours from 1StopBedrooms recently, the price was ok, happy with the purchase. Here you can read a lot of reviews about them https://1stopbedrooms.opinion-corp.com/review.html and have a rough opinion yourself. The delivery is pretty fast, so if you have some rooms which are not ready and you want to place an order on advance - make sure you have some space to store it.
    Last edited by RockOn; 06-20-2023 at 03:48 PM.

9. Member
    I have 27 years of flooring experience; you want 1/2" 8lb rebond cushion, vapor barrier is optional, you really only need it if you have kids and/or pets or a spill prone significant other. For the carpet you want nylon fiber not olefin, polyester, or triexta (poly with a fancy name), preferably with a short dense pile for the best wear and longevity.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassjam2000 View Post
    I have 27 years of flooring experience; you want 1/2" 8lb rebond cushion, vapor barrier is optional, you really only need it if you have kids and/or pets or a spill prone significant other. For the carpet you want nylon fiber not olefin, polyester, or triexta (poly with a fancy name), preferably with a short dense pile for the best wear and longevity.
    It has been a while since I was held hostage in Dalton at the White House and I am not up to date on the product lines of Shaw, Mohawk, etc.

What is the ounce number he should seek now? 26, 28, etc.?

The better product back when was referred to as "solution dyed nylon". Is it still?

In the 1990s a 26 ounce product was considered a good product.

Uncle Bob Shaw started another company (Engineered Floors) and changed the dying process in cut pile but I am not familiar with what the others have done and the terminology used.

11. Member
    Find a local store that does the install as well and tell them what you want and let them help.

12. Member
    By the way, how good are the carpet tile systems for residential use?

I have seen some products that have been designed for ease of installation and speed but don't know if they are durable. They appear to have a low, tight pile like commercial carpet tiles have always had and appear to be less desirable for a living room and more desirable for places where aesthetics matter less than utility.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish3000 View Post
    It has been a while since I was held hostage in Dalton at the White House and I am not up to date on the product lines of Shaw, Mohawk, etc.

What is the ounce number he should seek now? 26, 28, etc.?

The better product back when was referred to as "solution dyed nylon". Is it still?

In the 1990s a 26 ounce product was considered a good product.

Uncle Bob Shaw started another company (Engineered Floors) and changed the dying process in cut pile but I am not familiar with what the others have done and the terminology used.
    The ounces are just how much fiber is used per square yard and does not necessarily correlate to the quality of the carpet, just the overall thickness, for instance commercial carpets are rated for heavy traffic yet most of them are only 26 ounces. A mid-pile carpet around 40-50 ounces is typical for residential replacement, around 60-70 ounces is considered "luxurious". To my knowledge all nylons used for carpeting are type 6.6 solution dyed nylon. I have very little knowledge on carpet tiles.

14. Member
    #5 in spot on . better pad then builders pad or the base one. carpet is only as good as the pad and the install. free install usually means no stretch

We just had our living room/den recarpeted. Roughly a 14 x 30 room. Which meant no matter which way you turn it, you'll have a seam. Ran us about $3,500. We went to a carpet store that our contractor recommended. Power stretching, heavy pad, etc. They cleaned the floor well before putting down the new materials.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

16. Member
    If you want to save money, move all the furniture yourself, and tear out the old carpet. Its easy to do. Just get ahold of a corner and pull. Then cut it from backside into smaller more manageable strips and get rid of it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassjam2000 View Post
    We’re also in the market for some new carpet. Do you have a certain carpet manufacturer that you prefer?