03-XR6 running rough

My 2003 XR6 (s/n - OT736560) will get hard to start, bog down, and sometimes stall, but only after I have run to a fishing spot and am ready to leave. It only acts up if it is a hot sunny day. If it is a cool day, or an overcast day it will run ok all day long. It’s always starts easy first thing off the trailer regardless of the weather.
    When it fails it seems to be starved for fuel and after a short time it will take off and run ok. This issue started about 2 years ago and has continuously gotten worse.
    Has anyone experienced this problem or have an ideas what could be the cause?

I had the same issue on my xr6. I replaced all my fuel line and rebuilt my pulse pump. Problem solved
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

3. Member
    I have an 03 XR6. I too would start with fuel lines and fuel pump. A couple of months ago I had to replace the trigger but my motor cranked and ran fine to my first spot twice then started missing, just an FYI.

4. Member
    Thanks you both for your responses. I had been thinking the same thing but wanted to see if someone else had dealt with this problem. I will contact European Marine tomorrow and get these parts coming.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Set engine at LEVEL TRIM and pump the primer bulb firm before EVERY SINGLE engine start.

This is extremely critical when temps exceed 60F.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Mine started to do that recently and would lose prime every stop. Replaced the bulb and rebuilt pulse pump. Now i dont need to pump bulb except the first time of the day
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee John View Post
    Thanks you both for your responses. I had been thinking the same thing but wanted to see if someone else had dealt with this problem. I will contact European Marine tomorrow and get these parts coming.
    proceed with suggestions.
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................