Thread: 2018 250 proxs

2018 250 proxs

In the market for a new boat and came across a Basscat that I love with this motor on it. I am just seeking any input as far as 2 stroke vs 4 stroke motors and if the newer 4 strokes are far and away better motors than a proxs 2 stroke.

It’s as good of a motor as it’s been treated and will be good to you if you treat it well. The 250ProXS engines are real runners meant to be run!

3. Member
    I have one like that 2018,400 hrs on it and no issues.good engine

The 2 stroke will get 20% better fuel economy but the oil offsets that. I have firmly developed the belief that the 2 strokes are just a little bit faster and the four stroke accelerate much faster.
    I would love to have a new 4 stroke 300r though. Just cannot justify it at my age and my Optimax pro xs is low hours.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Got over 600 hrs on mine.

6. Member
    After reading this board for a couple years I would never own a 250 opti. Best of luck.

Todays new v8 merc 4 strokes are the way to go unless you love turning wrenches.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

7. Member
    Over 700 hrs on my 07 250XS optimax. Maintanence is the key to long life with these hot rods.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Since Mercury doesn't use "years" let's clarify if the engine is a 250 ProXS Optimax, or a 250 ProXS Fourstroke?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    250 proxs optimax

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Overall good engines, but if you have the choice between a 4-stroke and an Optimax... go with the 4-stroke.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Overall good engines, but if you have the choice between a 4-stroke and an Optimax... go with the 4-stroke.
    Dammit man, you sure know how to kick a guy square in the crotch!

12. Member
    all part of the change
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    all part of the change
    Yeah, but I like to go fast!