Thread: Trailer "Angle"

Trailer "Angle"

Is it more important to have my tandem trailer level, or more important to have trailer fender gaps between front and rear tires be even?

If I level my trailer I seem to have more gap above front tires than back tires. So, I've always towed with my nose lower to try to even out the tire gap. However, I've heard that towing level makes for a better ride. Over bumps, dips, etc. I noticed that both my Suburban and new Sierra 1500 Denali both get "pulled" a bit by the boat, so it has me wondering if that's because I am tilted downward in front. When attached to tow vehicle, I measure AT LEAST a 4" lower height difference in front of trailer, measuring from ground to the tongue and the ground to side rail of trailer furthest back.

I currently run a 2" drop hitch on my Sierra, and the gap is slightly less over front tires than rear. I have a 0" drop hitch that I use on my Suburban because the hitch is lower. Since they don't seem to make a 1" drop hitch I can try, if I try the 0" drop hitch on my Sierra, and I get a more level trailer, but gap is larger over front wheels, is that OK?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

Disclaimer: For some reason this forum does not send me email notifications on threads (yes, I've checked my settings, and my spam folder), so if I don't respond to your reply right away it's because I won't know of your reply until I manually check the thread.
    Last edited by MrLeadfoot; 05-28-2023 at 10:04 AM.
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If your tongue is level, the fender gap should be the same. I’d be suspecting you have a suspension problem, or someone replaced a torsion axle and indexed the new trailing arms differently from the other axle.

A few inches off level doesn’t make a significant difference to a boat trailer, and even less to a tandem.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    top of ball usually about 18-20 inches off the ground
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    If your tongue is level, the fender gap should be the same. I’d be suspecting you have a suspension problem, or someone replaced a torsion axle and indexed the new trailing arms differently from the other axle.
    I'm original owner and it's been this way since the beginning.

A few inches off level doesn’t make a significant difference to a boat trailer, and even less to a tandem.
    So, is it OK to try the drop hitch with 0" drop, even if the gap is a little higher in front rather than a little higher in the back like it is now, as long as trailer rails are level?

I've heard being level is even more crucial when you have two axles vs. one.
    Last edited by MrLeadfoot; 05-28-2023 at 03:03 PM.
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    top of ball usually about 18-20 inches off the ground
    I will check that, thank you. Is it safe to assume different boats/trailers might require more or less by 2-3 inches or so, or is there an industry standard height?
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

6. Member
    I do have a big-a$$ 300hp 2-stroke on the back with a 10" setback, but the boat was built for it, and I assume the trailer was configured for it. But, could that play a role in this at all?
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLeadfoot View Post
    I'm original owner and it's been this way since the beginning.

So, is it OK to try the drop hitch with 0" drop, even if the gap is a little higher in front rather than a little higher in the back like it is now, as long as trailer rails are level?

I've heard being level is even more crucial when you have two axles vs. one.
    Being level isn’t at all critical. The math will tell you the effect is trivial. With a conventional suspension, a tandem trailer transfers weight to equalize the load on the axles.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    too much weight on the back axle?

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

9. Member
    As long as you’re close, don’t sweat it too much. As Catfan mentioned, the difference in forces between the 2 axles will be practically nothing.

10. Member
    You can always try an adjustable hitch, like a Weigh Safe, to get 1" increments. Although I don't have a tandem axle trailer, I know that my ability to drive my boat onto the trailer is more sensitive for how far I drop the trailer into the water if I don't drop my hitch to 6" when pulling with a Titan XD; for a Titan 4x4, 5" is about right.