Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some Things Just Hurt

For example, a box of MB Jerks, about 20 or so flying out of your boat. Only good thing, I didn’t see them fly out, but they did. I’m close to 70, you would have thought I would have learned by now to put my toys back in the toy box. It happened at Greeks Ferry for anyone who frequents that lake. If you find some of them, Happy Easter!

And the collection begins again.

2. Member

3. Member
    I feel for you. I am turning 71 shortly and for me to fish I have to have a checklist like a pilot of an airplane. One list has all the things I need to bring with me to fish. The next has everything I need to get the boat ready to tow and launch. Number one is to put the plug in the boat.
    Then I have another list for running the boat and fishing. Is the trolling motor up when getting ready to make a run? Are my rods strapped down? A quick look around the boat to see if anything will blow out? I have about three sticky notes that I have on the dash of my boat.

Note to self: Duct tape the sticky notes to the dash or they will blow out!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    I feel for you. I am turning 71 shortly and for me to fish I have to have a checklist like a pilot of an airplane. One list has all the things I need to bring with me to fish. The next has everything I need to get the boat ready to tow and launch. Number one is to put the plug in the boat.
    Then I have another list for running the boat and fishing. Is the trolling motor up when getting ready to make a run? Are my rods strapped down? A quick look around the boat to see if anything will blow out? I have about three sticky notes that I have on the dash of my boat.
    Unless you have been fishing in a good rain. Why do people take the drain plug out? I hardly ever take mine out.

Yeah…was running the bay out to the surf in Port O’Connor this past week, a little rough and a Wade Belt and attached equipment I’ve had for over 25 years blew out of the boat. Pissed me off as I didn’t pay attention to securing it properly. I’ve finally come across something you can’t find on eBay or Amazon.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Unless you have been fishing in a good rain. Why do people take the drain plug out? I hardly ever take mine out.
    So if you fish in a good rain why would you not take the plug out when done? The bilge never gets it all out.

8. Member
    Always pull mine when on the trailer for the ride home and then I reinstall when I get home.

9. Member
    For the ones that use the coolers built into the boat it drains into the bilge and bilge pump will never get that all out. Gotta pull the plug to get it drained.

10. Member
    I believe it is illegal here to travel to or from the lake with the drain plug in due to invasive species.

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    So if you fish in a good rain why would you not take the plug out when done? The bilge never gets it all out.
    In 21 states it is illegal to tow a boat with the drain plugs in place.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Removing the plug and draining the bilge is state law in some places.

13. Member
    I NEVER take my plug out. On the ramp I put the bilge pump on and sometimes a qt or less comes out and I don’t care if the is a little bit still in there or not. Also don’t care about their silly laws.

I once lost a tackle bag with my wallet and phone, sank in 25' of water after being blown off the back deck because some dumba$$ (me) left it there after helping a buddy work on his boat... went for a test run to see if he lost any speed... a couple of miles later I realized my mistake. Went back to look for it,,, looked like a debris field from an aircraft crash.
    Talk about a major PITA to replace everything in my wallet... no ID to replace my drivers license, mil ID etc..
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

15. Member
    About a month ago , buddy and i loaded up the boat leaving the river. I put his wallet and key fob (ram truck) on the deck. I saw him pick up both . We were in my truck, he had left his truck at my house. When we get to my house he went to his truck and did not have his fob. Long story short , he kept telling me waste of time but i drove back to the ramp. When we pulled up to where we loaded every thing up the fob was laying on the pavement . Whats the odds for that ? LOL
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J D View Post
    I once lost a tackle bag with my wallet and phone, sank in 25' of water after being blown off the back deck because some dumba$$ (me) left it there after helping a buddy work on his boat... went for a test run to see if he lost any speed... a couple of miles later I realized my mistake. Went back to look for it,,, looked like a debris field from an aircraft crash.
    Talk about a major PITA to replace everything in my wallet... no ID to replace my drivers license, mil ID etc..

I lost my drivers license a few months ago. ( eventually found it at my bank) I went to reorder a replacement on line and had no record of my license ID number. Lucky I had taken a picture of it on my phone for an insurance claim or it would have been a bigger pain in the butt than it already was.

17. Member
    Not the first time ive done this, but last time was floating worms, and the box flipped open and I saw it fly out. No trouble finding those floating worms.

18. Member
    In Kansas it is illegal to have drain plug in boat on public roads.
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

A few years ago I lost Plano 767 or something like that full of original Wiggle Warts that I had since the early 80’s..

20. Member
    I said I would never buy the high dollar baits. But after years of jerkbait fishing being my year round technique, I bought lots. And my last fishing trip March 2021, I lost a tray full over board when my arms and hands went dead. Couldn't recover a one. Wind wasn't even normally bad in that spot, but was that day.

The tray closest, is like a tray I had stuffed full of MB, but that's some of some I still have somewhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast