Thread: Sponson pods

Sponson pods

Pros/Cons?

Do they allow the boat to run shallower?
    Do they hinder turning performance?

Looking at a crest liner 1760 / 40HP tiller, looking at making a good shallow water river rig. The boat also has sponson flotation pods factory installed.

2. Member
    They help spread the weight and keep the stern higher in the water and negate bow rise, thus keeping the prop higher on acceleration and at lower speeds.

3. Member
    I’ve got the Tracker Grizzly 1760 MVX sportsman (tiller) which I believe is the exact same hull. Pretty sure Crestliner made these back in 2016. Anyhow the pods definitely keep it floating shallower. It’s also stable enough to stand on the railing if you need and it won’t list hard. It won’t “run” shallower because of them. Mine floats in about 4” of water. It definitely takes off very shallow as the pods keep it from squatting. As far as turning, I don’t think they affect it as they are slightly higher than the actual boat bottom. They do keep the bow running flat as the spray from under the boat pushes up on them while running. It’s not a problem in any way, just something you get used to as it feels different. On plane I’ve run across 12” deep water with zero contact but it was a soft bottom. Could possibly run a little shallower but I haven’t measured the skeg depth below the bottom.
    Another benefit is they give you a step for getting in and out if you wade at all or if you just step out to push over a section of 2” deep water. Also super great step for taking a leak....Sorry if that’s too detailed but you’ll wish all your boats had them for that purpose
    Last edited by perfect-storm; 05-29-2023 at 03:38 PM.

4. Member
    Thanks for the feedback.