Opinion: 26P Trophy Plus 4 Blade on a Cougar

I have a 2003 Cougar with a 225 Opti + Power poles. Currently running a 25P Fury. Overall like the Fury but the hole shot is a little slow when running a tournament load with livewells full. Looking into a 26P Trophy Plus 4 blade. Thoughts?

How many rpm at wot trimmed for max speed (smart craft or digital tach). Fury is the best prop for that boat,
    Are all PVS plugs removed
    Thank You Leon Pugh

There’s nothing wrong with a 25 or 26 Trophy,mother than people quit even trying to use them. They were and are good wheels other than loading and some hole shot. Hole shot can be significantly improved with the right PVS combination and use of an exhaust hub vent ring.

4. Member
    I'm running a 2004 Cougar with 27P Trophy Plus 4 blade / 250 OptiMax. It's not the fastest rig out of the hole but drivability and top end are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by HiVoltFishn View Post
    I'm running a 2004 Cougar with 27P Trophy Plus 4 blade / 250 OptiMax. It's not the fastest rig out of the hole but drivability and top end are amazing.
    Could you post your numbers with that prop? What speed and rpms? Would a 26p be better out of the hole,opinion?
    Thanks
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

6. Member
    I ran a 25 trophy plus on a 02 cougar/225 opti for a couple yrs. Holeshot was good ,much better than my tempest 26 which was the only other prop I had at the time to compare . Gave up a couple mph to the tempest but the handling in big / rough water was so much better . I fish mainly on the great lakes . Definitely needed the weed ring and 4 large plugs that I believe I opened up a bit more . Been a while so I don't remember exact numbers .

on my 2004 cougar/225 optimax holeshot was better with a 25 fury 3 than the 26 trophy. the fury 4 blade in 25 was by far the best and had much better handling, midrange lift and cornering bite than the 25 fury 3
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

8. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. It helped with my decision to pass on the Trophy.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-action View Post
    Could you post your numbers with that prop? What speed and rpms? Would a 26p be better out of the hole,opinion?
    Thanks
    I think last week I was running 65 @ around 5200. All time top speed on this setup was 80mph, not sure on the RPM as it's been a while. 26P should get out of the hole quicker at the expense of a couple mph on top.

By far the best overall prop for that boat is a 24 Fury prepped by Ronie Gilbert with that combination, no pvs plugs and set to about 3.5 in
    should net you 5700 rpm and about 70mph
    If go fury 4 blade, buy a backup as they prone to tossing blades ran higher around 3.0 in
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    As BCB said above there is nothing wrong with running a trophy on that hull. Probably the fastest prop on that hull but is a little lacking on trailer loading. Until the fury 3 was introduced a Trophy is what we stuck on them.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    on my 2004 cougar/225 optimax holeshot was better with a 25 fury 3 than the 26 trophy. the fury 4 blade in 25 was by far the best and had much better handling, midrange lift and cornering bite than the 25 fury 3
    What kind of speeds were you seeing with the 25 fury 4? Thanks

225 with poles wont quite get the rpm you need. Get a 24 the have ronnie rework it after getting a baseline
    Thank You Leon Pugh

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Addison View Post
    As BCB said above there is nothing wrong with running a trophy on that hull. Probably the fastest prop on that hull but is a little lacking on trailer loading. Until the fury 3 was introduced a Trophy is what we stuck on them.
    What is the difference between the trophy and trophy plus? It almost seems like I hear them referred to as one in the same at time.