2005 200 ox66 stutter

Took off this evening and was running around 3500 rpm’s and the motor had a weird stutter. It seemed to have shut off for a split second. On the way back it did it again at roughly 3500 again so I took it for a quick run wide open and everything was fine. As I was coming off plane it did it again this time it almost felt as if I hit something (I didn’t) and water pressure dropped. Shut the motor down and started back up no issues and no weird noises.

Any idea what this could be? Or has someone experienced something similar?

2. Member
    What’s the maintenance history? Weird stuff can have an electrical connection. Without knowing something about the maintenance, it’s a shot in the dark.

3. Member
    This is my third season with it and I’ve had zero issues and have had all the basic maintenance done. Oil filter, fuel filters on motor, water pump, spark plugs.

4. Member
    Went out this morning and ran perfect. No issues at all, weird…..

5. Member
    Could be the fuel pump relay or the high pressure pump itself. If it keeps doing it intermittently likely the relay. When the pump goes it usually shuts you down for good. The relay going south is common on these engines after many years of service. Relay is $246 at Sim Yamaha. Could also be the low pressure fuel pumps. Similar post recently and this was the issue. Easy to check. Pumpthe bulb, loosen each pump and look for leaking fuel. If leaking replace the pump. Most do all three at the same time.
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 05-28-2023 at 11:29 AM.

6. Member
    If you’ve never replaced the low pressure pumps, they are a maintenance item. I did the electric pump mod and removed mine. Pump self primes, so that lets you remove the primer bulb which is another maintenance item. If it does it again, check the ground block on the top rear port side of the engine. If there is corrosion, it will randomly cut power to the high pressure pump. Outside chance the fuel pump relay is going. Most common symptom is random no starts for that one.

7. Member
    The morning of this happening it did strangely take longer to start than it ever has. It was only 4 degrees Celsius here by typically starts first crank whether it’s been sitting or not. That morning I had to crank it for a little before it started.