Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Power Pole MOVE: Talk about and review

On 5/8/22 I was lucky enough to purchase a a PP Move Tm. I wanted to start a thread about this TM. And share my experience with the install and operation of the unit to help anyone who is on the fence about a purchase of this size for something as important as a TM! To me a TM is the most important piece of equipment on my boat. I run 4 units on my boat and I can still catch fish without them. However, If My TM goes down Im done! Im not a professional angler, and Ive paid for everything I use. I’ll talk crap about a piece of equipment as fast as I will give it my approval. My boat “Bullet 21XRS” came with a Ultrex that was 2 yrs old. I used the ultrex for 4 months and bought a Motorguide pinpoint + and used it for 3 months. Im not going to get into these 2 motors on this thread about how they performed for me. But I will say… I could use them both on my boat and trust them until they fail.

Install:
    I use a BoatLogix mount with a built in wedge. The mounting template that PP sent was awesome and laid out beautifully. I was able to cut off the excess card/paper and lay it in my bracket for mounting. However, I was PISSED that PP doesn’t use a common bolt pattern to mount to! There were a few explicative words used for 20 minutes while I drilled more holes into my bracket while mounted on my boat. I really can’t understand why they wouldn’t match up holes with the current patterns to promote the purchase of people who want to up grading or switch brands! Once I got past this, everything was straight forward and came together nicely. Due to the extra wiring of the foot control, display and TM it was a little more time consuming than the switch before. I chose to wire everything up on 36V to keep it all separate from my electronics, except for the remote cradle that I put at my console on 12V. All in all, it took 3 hrs to remove and install the Move including tool clean up.

THE Mount:
    The mount doesn’t looks beefy… It reminds me of an old Motorguide tour 109 gator mount that has to have a bounce buster or its gonna break! I was not happy that a some sort of support didn’t come with it for for the price tag. However, When stowed it is solid as a rock! Doesn’t move, give, wiggle, shake, vibrate or bounce. It’s like a part of the boat. The deploy is effort less, solid all the way through the motion with no rotation in the head. I don’t to have put my foot on the TM pedal to keep my Livescope transducer from hitting the mount. When you go to stow the TM, its light, easy, solid, and aligns itself in position of rotation without putting your foot on the pedal.

1st day test:
    The way my boat sets on my trailer I couldn’t test the TM without going to the lake. That being said my initial voyage didn’t go without problems. I spent 2hours on the phone with PP customer service because my drive motor wouldn’t work or propel. Let me just say this now, PowerPole customer service is the best I’ve ever dealt with when it comes to an issue with a product I have bought. They made multiple calls text and emails to take care of me. In the end, they determined the problem and shipped me a new shaft and head the next day and I was never down. In this process I got to disassemble the TM and put it back together. It took 10 minutes! It’s the most simple, logically built TM I’ve ever worked on. The following day I was back on the water and everything worked flawlessly.

the pedal:
    It’s smooth, accurate, has a touch of resistance but was less than others. You can move the pedal as fast as you’d like and it responds accordingly. There is a power wire but the cableless system is the only way I will ever go. So that eliminates all other TM except Garmin.

Spot lock
    Ive had ZERO issue so far with holding position. No Matter the wind direction when I lock in or how hard it’s blowing. It’s seems to be smooth and patient to hold my position. It’s also does well to build speed slowly and not jerk around.

Over all going from a 95# TM to a 58# has been a blessing. My 9yr old can deploy but not stow the MOVE. I feel more efficient on the front of the boat when I’m on the move from spot to spot. It’s much more quiet than my others and seems to be more efficient while operating. The MOVE Feels more like a part of me without jumping around while I’m fishing.
    21 XRS
    Garmin, LVS 34, lithium Pro, SeaClear
    8ft PP, Move and Charge

That sure was an interesting review.
    Are the LED light dimmable?
    Thanks

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Nice....thanks for the review...
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Thank you for the review! First of all, I respect the CS reputation of Power Pole. I have used it and it is awesome. I like its lightweight which needs to be the next big change in trolling motors. My Ultrex 112 is too heavy. I like its features too much though to go with another brand right now. My question would be toward what features the MOVE has other than spot lock. Can it follow a course or heading?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Glad to finally read a report.

6. Member
    Finally, thank you for the report

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Thanks
    Not sure. There’s so many programmable features I haven’t figured out yet. The lights are small and only come on when it’s deployed. I haven’t used it at night to see if its too bright yet.
    21 XRS
    8ft PP, Move and Charge

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Thank you for the review! First of all, I respect the CS reputation of Power Pole. I have used it and it is awesome. I like its lightweight which needs to be the next big change in trolling motors. My Ultrex 112 is too heavy. I like its features too much though to go with another brand right now. My question would be toward what features the MOVE has other than spot lock. Can it follow a course or heading?
    IM not sure on the course or heading. I dont think mine does. However I haven’t connected it to the app yet so there are things about it I haven’t learned. I’ll find time to this week to dig into it and connect it to my app.
    21 XRS
    8ft PP, Move and Charge

9. Member
    Thanks for the report. Glad you like. i just wish we were not in a world of $5000 trolling motors and $88000 Ford F150 trucks.
    2000 Javelin 18 Venom
    2002 Javelin MSX 21 Walleye boat

Thanks for the review. Would like to see more feedback as you get more time with it.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Thanks
    They are yes

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Great review just to clarify . Power pole makes what's called a Universal mounting plate .. (UMP) This allows you to line up the UMP with your current minn kota motor guide force or ghost holes you previously had In your boat and bolt it down so no extra drilling of holes is necessary. You can now install the move to the plate w 6 bolts in the prethreaded holes in the UMP... This bracket is currently available and has a MRP of 199.99.

13. Member
    I too don't understand why they didn't build the mount to match the other major TM holes. I just bought a second boat that had a Motorguide TM and the Ultrex mount has the wide hole pattern under the side plate so I didn't have to drill new holes or spend extra money for an adapter plate.
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    2020 Mercury 300R 1E080760
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Ultrex with iPilot Link
    8' Raptors

14. Member
    Does anyone know if the universal mounting bracket accommodates holes from a Fortrex?

15. Member
    I've been waiting for real reviews on the Move but hearing there was problems with it out of the box isn't very reassuring. I'd be pissed if I dropped $5k and it didn't work.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    I've been waiting for real reviews on the Move but hearing there was problems with it out of the box isn't very reassuring. I'd be pissed if I dropped $5k and it didn't work.
    let’s be clear here. Any piece of manufactured goods has a risk of not operating. Just because it’s expensive doesn’t remove that risk. I wasn’t happy about it but they were resilient with a great attitude and even talk to engineers to figure the issue out and a solution that was easiest for me to deal with. To me it was blessing in the end because now I know how simple, solid and light it’s put together. I literally called them at 12pm on Thursday by 2 pm there was a solution and they educated me on the process to swap out the part. By 12pm on Friday I was on The lake practice for a tournament on Saturday.
    21 XRS
    8ft PP, Move and Charge

17. Member
    You mean like all the great reports on MG, Minn-Kota, etc. LOL?!?!?

Without seeing the motor the question is could they have put the mounting holes in a standard pattern to match at least one or two of the popular motors?
    Either way not including the UMP at that price point doesn’t seem right

Having an issue right out of the box doesn’t worry me as much it’s a new product and there is going to be hiccups but PP customer server is top notch so that makes this a minor issue

Not thrilled about needing to use a phone app rather than a graph or remote as its way to easy to lose a pricy phone over the side and just another thing to worry about

But there is still plenty to make this a popular product with the construction design, smooth operation, quietness and lighter weight

I still say it’s not a game changer unless you look at it from the view that it will force other companies to step up their game

All in all I would say this was a positive first review of this motor with room to improve
    "The handicapped angler"

19. Member
    Its not like they rushed this unit into production, they had a lot of time to perfect it. If I paid that much, it better be PERFECT !

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKz View Post
    You mean like all the great reports on MG, Minn-Kota, etc. LOL?!?!?
    No, I mean like how they supposedly spent years developing the greatest trolling motor ever and not even a month on the market and people are having problems. I’ve been holding out for a year now waiting on this and some real reviews from actual people who paid for them. Crazy how there was hundreds of posts about it until it debuted then went silent when people saw the price. I was a little sticker shocked myself but kept an open mind to see what user’s really had to say. This so far has been the first real review and it’s not off to a good start in my opinion.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast