Optimax issue dying while trimming

I have a 2006 200 hp Optimax serial #1B378378. Two days ago when I was running I trimmed down and the motor died. I cranked it right back up. Trimmed down and it died again. When I pulled up to the launch, my trim motor made noise but wouldn't move up or down. I tried to crank the motor and my gauges started jumping but no fire. Then, nothing. The Optimax wouldn't do anything and the trim motor would make a low hum. Got home and put my Lithium jumper box on the battery and it fired right up. Trim works perfectly. I expected it to be a dead battery. I went to test the battery and it had 12.3 volts. Where should I be looking? Now I'm confused again. Could the jumper box charged the battery enough where it would read 12.3 but get run down quick? Could it be a short somewhere?

12.3 volts on a 12 volt isn’t fully charged. Sounds like a battery issue. How old is your battery and what battery is it? Does it meet the minimum battery size requirement in the FAQ up top of forum?
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apdriver View Post
    12.3 volts on a 12 volt isn’t fully charged. Sounds like a battery issue. How old is your battery and what battery is it? Does it meet the minimum battery size requirement in the FAQ up top of forum?
    +1

You need to check your entire electrical charging system, not just the battery. Probably a sticky up top about this.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apdriver View Post
    ^^^^

I'll add one more, with the battery fully charged and water supplied to the engine what is the voltage at the battery using a DMM with engine running?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Charging system needs to be diagnosed.
    Battery fully charged and tested, verified to be 950 CCA and at least 180minutes reserve.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As suggested, Charge and LOAD TEST battery. Verify it meets or exceeds the 950 CCA mark.

Then start engine and allow it to idle. After at least 3 minutes, read voltage AT BATTERY with a DVOM. What did you get?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks guys. It's pouring down raining in SWLA. I'll try to test it tomorrow and see what it reads