2014 Mercury 30hp four stroke blowing fuse

My son has a 30 hp four stroke that has electric start. We have a new battery in there. It will start the motor but the next time you try it the fuse is blown. What should we check?

<0R568846>
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 05-29-2023 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Serial Number

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Serial Number?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

sent it to you in PM

Tom

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Tom, please take a moment and review the Announcements at the top of the Forum- serial numbers are required in your post. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Make sure he's using the correct amperage fuse.

Careful visual inspection inside the cowling/front for any indication of pinched or impinged wiring.

Battery adequately rated and connected correct polarity?

Is the battery left connected properly (terminals WRENCH tight), or is it disconnected?

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Make sure he's using the correct amperage fuse.

Careful visual inspection inside the cowling/front for any indication of pinched or impinged wiring.

Battery adequately rated and connected correct polarity?

Is the battery left connected properly (terminals WRENCH tight), or is it disconnected?
    Thanks 0R568846

When i pulled the fuse it was a 20amp - thats what it was in when he bought it
    Will have to check the other stuff

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    20a should be correct for that fuse.