Ultrex troubleshoot

Been through this thing a few times throwing parts at. 52 inch ultrex 112 thrust us2 model, fished a tournament in some heavy rain and had the power switch go out on it. Replaced and worked fine until got home and tested and no power. Replaced with new one, still no power. Replaced control board inside bottom of foot pedal. Still nothing What really stumps me is I have 36volts to bow. But when I hook up the foot pedal power cords it reads at the same location at 13.7 volts? Still no power. I opened up the bottom of foot pedal and double checked all connections against minn Kota schematics and it correct. Fuse in head is good. Checked for continuity from all wires and it’s there. When I disconnect the foot pedal power wires from the trolling motor batteries I get 36.8volts again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks BBC.

2. Member
    switch in backwards? Never mind those wires cannot be installed wrong. what about using a jumper on the switch wires then ?
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

3. Member
    Explain what you mean please sir

4. Member
    Ok let me back up . you say when you plug in the foot pedal you only get 13.7 volts ? with the switch on ,off or either?

1: does the pedal light come on?
    2: can you turn the prop by hand?
    3: did you take the pedal plug apart and check connections? Im assuming yes because you said you have voltage.
    4: I know its a new switch but does it bench test good?

5. Member
    1. No
    2. Yes
    3. yes
    4. bought 3 new switches and tried all three, no power

6. Member
    I know this is a long shot but why don't you pull the wires off the bow plug and also the pedal plug . jump them together (hardwire no plugs) only reason I'm saying that is you are getting crazy reading when you plug them together . at least eliminate the plugs .

7. Member
    Yes sir I did do that. 36volts coming from the batteries and I hard wired them together and at the connection getting 13v

8. Member
    If you call minn kota the first thing they will say is you need to load test those batteries. Im just saying that because if you go ahead and get that done youll know and be able to confirm before they will move ahead with troubleshooting.
    I will say they are very good at customer support.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietTime View Post
    Yes sir I did do that. 36volts coming from the batteries and I hard wired them together and at the connection getting 13v
    Measure voltage at the batteries with and without things hooked up. If it holds voltage, I’d suspect you have a very bad connection somewhere between the batteries and the bow.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Measure voltage at the batteries with and without things hooked up. If it holds voltage, I’d suspect you have a very bad connection somewhere between the batteries and the bow.
    Beat me to it . I was about to say also check the inline breaker if so equipped. and all battery connections. never said .. what kind of batteries?

11. Member
    Ionic 50ah x3 for trolling motor.

12. Member
    Figured out my problem. One of my ionics were not registering on my ionic charger. Got a new charger cause one of my banks wasn’t working and still number 3 battery not registering even on different banks. This was the same battery that was hooked up to the bad bank, and gave me an over temp over charge alert. Going to call Tuesday and get another battery. Took my cranking battery and put it in bad batteries place and who-hoo I’ve got power to trolling motor.

13. Member
    You may just need to wake the battery BMS up. Turn on the charger and the connect a jump box to the battery in question.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietTime View Post
    Figured out my problem. One of my ionics were not registering on my ionic charger. Got a new charger cause one of my banks wasn’t working and still number 3 battery not registering even on different banks. This was the same battery that was hooked up to the bad bank, and gave me an over temp over charge alert. Going to call Tuesday and get another battery. Took my cranking battery and put it in bad batteries place and who-hoo I’ve got power to trolling motor.
    Thats great that you found it. Im sure it a relief.