Question on what would you do.

I only ask questions like this for fishing conduct here in NC. Let me explain and I hope to get some opinions please. We’ve been prefishing the cape river for todays bass tour for a cpl weeks now. I mean it’s only 20 miles away so it’s easy. But we found a “creek” that had plenty of bigger fish. We’ve caught a few between 3-5 lbs every time we go out. We’ve broke the lake down in sections and this creek had the winning fish. The rest of the river for us was just shut down but not this creek. So as you know there is really only 3 creeks on the cape river up at Avents fairy that are like 1/2 mile long. We was in a smaller boat and we ran to our creek. But so did another boat. They pretty much went as slow as we did but we did catch them at the spot where we pretty much started to catch our fish. The creeks are maybe 30’ across and 3-5’ deep. We decided NOT to go around them even though they kinda blocked us you could say from going around with out literally being sideways. Anyhow, should we have went around them to fish the spots we prefished almost daily locating these fish? By The way they won the tournament. In Mo we’d went right past them and not said hey or hi. Because we prefished and they was NOT in there prefishing when we was in there. Not a single time. A cpl friends at the ramp said I should of went around them since I fished prefished. Well the guy turned and said I’d been pissed off if you would of and My friend told him then you’d got over it lol which is true. I am made at myself for not going on by to the fish WE had located. But we didn’t and we left them be. Yea I can see both sides but what would you all do? Not a lot of $$$ up for grabs. If it was a $1500 tournament I’d kept going on the trolling motor as I prefished to find them. But for a petty cpl hundred I think leaving was the right thing to do but when he said he’d been pissed that kinda pissed me off as I prefished to find these fish not him and his wife. I DID. So opinions on fishing conduct around here. I wasn’t mean or hateful about it and neither was he but what would you of done?

2. Member
    I fish for fun instead of turning it into a "mines bigger than yours contest". That way I don't have any reason to be upset if someone is fishing where I want to.

Well, they were not there when you fished it. But, you don't know if they have been hitting that spot for years or maybe they found it the day before you did and they had the same mindset as you which was that you found it and its your spot. Point is you feel like you and ONLY you located those fish but you really don't know of that is true. I know a couple of spots I "found" on my own that almost always produce some keeper or even a limit and I am 100% other people know about it as well. It public water so I know I can not call it my spot.

You could have asked if the minded you going around to fish farther up. Maybe they would have said sure but maybe they would had said they planned to go there as well. Sounds like they got there before you on tournament day in what sounds like a pretty small spot so I'd say not going around them was the right thing to do. And, if $1500 alters your perspective on the right way to treat other fishermen, that's not a good thing.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    Ours was only $250 and I was using the money as an example being for $1500 I may of went on around them. But we choice to leave it be and we left. So many other people in our tournament said they’d went around them. I just wanted to hear opinions. At the end of the day it’s just a tournament but blocking like I felt happened could of caused an issue and would of in Mo cause that’s different level of people. I try to follow all rules and good conduct. But dam. I know I don’t own anything. Also never claimed I did. It was I guess curtesy vs hmmm, what do we do. We got with in 10’ of them to go around and she blocked the way with a sideways boat. But they won and I congratulated them in front of everyone. They earned it that’s for sure. They had 15 something and 2nd was like 8. The husband did say he knows someone who
    Caught 16lbs out of there this past week. I lol cause that was us. We was there everyday in that area prefishing and no one else ever went there. So he won it and that’s good for him. Just makes the rest of the year push me even harder to beat them every time out for now on. I’ll focus the bit of fishing knowledge I have on putting the weight on the scales to win for now on and still
    do
    it the right way being courtesy to everyone on the water and never do the wrong thing like we almost did.

5. Member
    Amount of money is non issue. I wouldn't go around someone in that tight of a spot unless what I wanted to fish was a really long ways deeper in the creek. Sounds like you were fairly close to the back already. If I were in front, you would probably have to go over my line. Lol. I wouldn't be pissed. Just irritated. And if you would ask, I would say sure. Come on tru. I have actually been on both sides of this exact situation several times. Best of my knowledge, never any hard feelings on either party.

6. Member
    Nicely put. I’ve also been there. Well kinda. We don’t have creek arms like this in Mo. It’s 1/2 mile long and 40’ across id guess. No we was not even 1/8 of The way and we was in a 19’ tracker they was in a 2022 Ranger. We could go places and was that they couldn’t even get to. So yea, but it’s over and I’ve gotten so many messages about those 2 it’s crazy. Thanks for tue reply sir and your opinion is how I seen it as well. I just didn’t ask to go around since she put her bassmasters block on us lmao ��*♂️

7. Member
    I think berudd said it best. This may be a spot they have fished in the past and just happened to be where you found them also. Being public water it's first come first serve. Sounds like you did the right thing in not going around them unless they came in while you were there.

8. Member
    Eddie, I don’t know that you’re going about this the right way. One you don’t even have all of your facts straight. That was Monica running the trolling motor when you came in the creek with them and that was her fishing partner. Her husband was on my boat. Monica is liked by many in the fishing community. We have a small private tournament and everyone gets along great and most know each other personally away from the water. We do have rules and one of those is no fishing within 50ft so I don’t think I would try to squeeze by them in that small creek. You already told them that if you had your Cobra boat that they wouldn’t have beat you to that creek and I believe Joe let you know that if his Aunt had nuts that she would be his Uncle. Another fact you didn’t get right is that they only caught 2 fish in that creek but caught about 8 more keepers somewhere else on the river. We have these tournaments for fun and have been for 12 years with no complaints. Just a friendly piece of advice for you is that you may want to come and fish and try to have a good time but if you rock the boat too much you may get asked not to come back.
    Last edited by Lunkerlure; 05-31-2023 at 09:52 AM.
    Tommy Stewart
    2007 Ranger 521VX
    Lunkerlure@msn.com

9. Member
    Yea I see all sides here. Not a big deal for me either way.
    I think I was more asking if I handled this right was the
    main question.
    I prefer not to step on toes and rattle cages so I was asking
    is all I was doing Tommy

10. Member
    No big deal but maybe you should have just talked to some of us in person. When you start posting it’s hard to tell how you’re coming across. If you have any questions just ask Jason or myself. I ran these tournaments for 7 years and then I passed them over to Jason. If someone is being unsportsmanlike we’ll talk to them but I promise that won’t be a problem with our group. We’ll see you at the next one man and good luck.
    Tommy Stewart
    2007 Ranger 521VX
    Lunkerlure@msn.com

11. Member
    They wasn’t being unsportsmanlike about it at all. I chuckle cause you’re 100% right on not knowing how I’m coming across. Man I’m not good at all at explaining stuff lol. BUT that creek was narrow and I know that. I promise it’s all good. These guys and gals have been nothing but 100% respectful since I’ve been fishing for 2 years now.

I got a question is there a points championship by chance cause I did see you weight in a fish and we let our 2 go at the ramp. I seen a cpl others weighing in a cpl for 4lbs. I asked Mike and he didn’t know. Have a good weekend everyone.

12. Member
    Yeah if you win the points you get a little extra money at the end. I think it was $450 last year and I’ve seen it up to about $650. 20% of the entry goes to the championship at the end so it depends on how many boats we have throughout the year.
    Tommy Stewart
    2007 Ranger 521VX
    Lunkerlure@msn.com

13. Member
    Well crap. I did NOT know that. Ok glad to know for next year for sure. I’d weight in my fish at the river if I’d known it. Mike didn’t know either. Thanks for letting me know that Tommy. I appreciate it.