Thoughts on Upgrading or Repowering 2014 Merc ProXs150 2-stroke

Interested in thoughts from Motor people on when to upgrade vs stay the course. My 2014 proxs has 150 hours and has never had an issue of any type. all service has been done.

I'm interested in your thoughts on proactive upgrade via a new boat/motor or repower vs just letting it ride and hoping she continues to run without issue. I'm generally happy with my current boat so what has me thinking is age of motor, age of trailer, etc.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

2. Member
    Mine is 5yrs older and has about 50 more hours than yours runs great and not replacing it. Follow the maintenance advice in the FAQ at top of this forum and it should give you many more years of trouble free service.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    ^^^^^^ they are capable of running a long time when maintained well
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    My 2000 2.5 Opti has 1,567 hours and only two issues HP and LP pump and main power solenoid. Not bad for a 23 year old Opti don`t think I would worry about your 2014 Opti.

Maintain it and run it. It is a thoroughbred of a motor so warm it up, run it (do not baby it), cool it down and maintain it. Feed it good fuel and oil and use OEMd parts. Now, IF you are looking to buy a new boat with a 4 stroke, then do that but I would not just repower.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    much thanks to all for your thoughts. avoiding constant things going wrong on trips was my main thought. The boat has little to go wrong with but the trailer, motor, TM and electronics are all points of failure potentially as they age.

all that said, most new boats I've had required help in the first year to fix issues with the build of some component
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The other thing to consider is what suits YOUR needs best. And... what the market demand for a good, used 150 might be (versus the cost of upgrade).

Ultimately it is your decision, so your opinions are the ones that really count.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor