Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weak Tell tale troubleshooting and overheating?

0T932349
    2004 Mercury 225 EFI two stroke
    Mirage 48-19838 15P
    Idle water pressure 4.3 psi
    5010 rpm was 12.2 psi
    WOT PSI still need to collect
    Analog gauges with Vessel View Mobile

The data above is from my last time on the water. When running the boat on the muffs yesterday I had a weak tell tale and temps rose quickly. Water PSI was 2.5 within spec, but down 1.8 PSI if you look at the above data. I have both style water attachments and neither worked this time. Occasionally I have issues and have to adjust position or water pressure. Ran fine on flush port briefly for testing. Impeller is only two years old, but maybe I screwed it up. Can it be anything other than an impeller like a restriction?

I may be wrong, but I thought that running on the flush port wasn’t acceptable.

3. Member
    correct ^^^^
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    I pull lower cowl and remove strainer, hook to flush port, let her run, water that is, it will flush out all crap without starting engine, strainer is stopped up is your issue....
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    I pull lower cowl and remove strainer, hook to flush port, let her run, water that is, it will flush out all crap without starting engine, strainer is stopped up is your issue....

I didn't know there was a strainer. I'll take a look thanks.

Two year old impeller? I’d replace that.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Two year old impeller? I’d replace that.
    That's the way I'm leaning, but the manual says 300 hours and it only has 100 hours. I'm new to boating if you haven't noticed.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Weekiman View Post
    That's the way I'm leaning, but the manual says 300 hours and it only has 100 hours. I'm new to boating if you haven't noticed.
    Water pump service interval is 100hrs OR annual whichever comes first, see the FAQ at top of forum for more info.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Water pump service interval is 100hrs OR annual whichever comes first, see the FAQ at top of forum for more info.
    Interesting, I will read that thanks.

Update: Wow! I read it. I would love to have it serviced by these guys. Wish they were closer. I wonder if the 100hour service for water pump is what Mercury currently recommends as well?
    Last edited by Weekiman; 05-28-2023 at 08:18 AM.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weekiman View Post
    I didn't know there was a strainer. I'll take a look thanks.
    That's because there's not one. Those are only found on OPTIMAX models (not EFI's).

Did you have the LOW WATER INLETS covered when you were trying to run on the muffs? If not, that's the problem.

Definitely replace AT LEAST the impeller and gaskets.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That's because there's not one. Those are only found on OPTIMAX models (not EFI's).

Did you have the LOW WATER INLETS covered when you were trying to run on the muffs? If not, that's the problem.

whoops sorry misread
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    whoops sorry misread
    you better tighten up
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Member
    Poppet valve probably needs to be replaced to. Don't throw the spring away when you change the diaphragm they don't make that spring anymore.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Poppet valve probably needs to be replaced to. Don't throw the spring away when you change the diaphragm they don't make that spring anymore.
    Good to know, thanks!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

Yes I had the lower forward water inlet cover installed. I read the service manual water flow description and there was only a mention of an exhaust flow strainer for which I have no idea it's purpose. It looks like a non service item in the mid section somewhere? What I did do was to run the water on the flush port for 20 minutes and switched back to the muffs and for some reason have the strongest pee stream I've seen while on the muffs. Maybe it back flushed some debris out? It's working great now.

16. Member
    cleaned some debris from strainer i would remove strainer and flush again with strainer removed

17. Member
    Powerhead Gasket is another possiblity
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    cleaned some debris from strainer i would remove strainer and flush again with strainer removed
    This EFI engine doesn't have a strainer... other than the exhaust strainer in the tuner.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

19. Member
    DANG IT mabe i better tighten up ( i need a break anyway)

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    DANG IT mabe i better tighten up ( i need a break anyway)
    LOL, go fishing Joe!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast