Minn Kota weight difference Maxxum vs Fortrex

My last boat had a Maxxum, current one has a Fortrex, both on quick release brackets so i can remove them when we're not going fishing. The Fortrex is a lot heavier and I'm trying to figure out why. Is it the difference in the brackets or is the motor? Fortrex is an 80# thrust with the 4" motor, Maxxum had the smaller motor (3.5"?) and was 65 or 70# thrust, otherwise similar shaft lengths and controls. I can't find any published weights online for either the complete TM's or the replacement motors. The difference is enough that I'm actually looking at replacing the Fortrex with a Maxxum because carrying that Fortrex up the dock is a pain. Besides, my wife hates not being able to see over it when I have it on the boat and in stowed position. If the weight difference is due to the larger motor I'll be sure to stay away from a Maxxum that would have the 4" motor.

Thanks

It’s both the mount and motor if I had to guess I would say more the motor but I could be wrong

Visibility has been a big complaint sense the fortrex and continues with the Ultrex

If their smart their new brushless one they have been working on will have a different mount

Finding a Maxxum may be difficult but not impossible
    "The handicapped angler"

To my knowledge, they no longer make an 80# MAXXUM they all use the smaller 70# motor so you should not have a problem finding the smaller motor.
    John Jones always referred to the 80# MAXXUM’S as Ranger models as if they were made for Ranger but they are also used on the MAXXUM Pro bracket which was the first one with lift assist. If you have a good MAXXUM 4 inch you will not have a problem selling it because MK uses this same motor assy on the 80# Fortrex and Ultrex. You can change the bow guard to a Fortrex bow guard and use this as a backup to the Ultrex.
    I agree with your wife about the sight line, that is reason I did not put a Fortrex on my RT188 but I had to give it up when the Ultrex came to get spot lock.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Member
    Bill, you are correct that the newer Maxxums all use the smaller motor. There's a used 70# 42" Maxxum on craigslist but after a couple emails asking about condition, age, or a serial # so I could determine year, he responds with "I don't deal with your type". What? He's 2 hrs away and I want all the information I can get before making the trip to look at it. My wife is actually pushing me to buy new so I'm shopping around and will check out the board sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by drydocked View Post
    Bill, you are correct that the newer Maxxums all use the smaller motor. There's a used 70# 42" Maxxum on craigslist but after a couple emails asking about condition, age, or a serial # so I could determine year, he responds with "I don't deal with your type". What? He's 2 hrs away and I want all the information I can get before making the trip to look at it. My wife is actually pushing me to buy new so I'm shopping around and will check out the board sponsors.
    The MAXXUM is a brute, I got many years of use from mine and then changed the bow guard to a Fortrex when I bought the Ultrex so it is a backup for the Ultrex. Still going strong.
    I designed this lift assist for the MAXXUM several years ago, very helpful and inexpensive.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching