2023 Mercury 115

3B301792 Hey Guys just bought a Lund Adventure with a Mercury 115 while breaking the motor in, I could barely get over 4500 rpm and 30 mph out of it. the Prop is a 17" black max, I realize the motor is not broken in yet. but was exspecting more than that

2. Member
    The Lund Red Book suggests 17p four blade spitfire achieving 43-47 mph. Sounds like you should be seeing higher speed and rpm. I would think your 17p black max should be achieving comparable results.

3. Member
    Since you did not mention it, I'll ask if you are trimming the engine up to maximum (as far up as possible without aerating the prop?)
    2015 Tracker Targa V18 150 4-Stroke 2B142247 9.9 EFI Pro Kicker 1R159535
    2001 MasterCraft Maristar 210 V-Drive, LTR 330 HP

4. Member
    Hey JS!, yeah I played with the trim and got a little more out of it, something just don't seem right. most guys are getting around 40 MPH or better.

5. Member
    How is engine height? Any porpoising? Check your cavitation plate to ensure it is not buried in water
    Last edited by Salmonkiller01; 05-26-2023 at 09:33 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salmonkiller01 View Post
    How is engine height? Any porpoising? Check your cavitation plate to ensure it is not buried in water
    I am thinking along these lines as well! Engine to low in the water??

7. Member
    I will have to look into that, it has all the signs of it.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Analog or Digital Tachometer?

Throttle on the hand-control or a hotfoot?

Battery Type and Loading details?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Hey Don, Anolog and hand control battery is a deka. like i was saying something ain't right, that motor should make that boat move better than that? smart craft gauge too.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Did you confirm the RPM's on Smartcraft?

Suggest having a dealer perform cylinder drop (misfire) test under load/power. May have one hole not making power... narrowing it down to one cylinder helps to shorten the diagnostic process a bit.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nort View Post
    3B301792 Hey Guys just bought a Lund Adventure with a Mercury 115 while breaking the motor in, I could barely get over 4500 rpm and 30 mph out of it. the Prop is a 17" black max, I realize the motor is not broken in yet. but was exspecting more than that
    It turned out to be over propped, have a 15" spitfire made a big difference

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar