Question G3N compatible with G4N

I searched around a bit and didn't find anything addressing it specifically. I'm looking at buying a 2020 boat and it was originally equipped with 3 helix 12 G3N. 2 at the console one up front.
    The seller who is second owner has only ran a single helix 12 at the console and one up front. So there's a mount ready to go for a second G3N. My question is does a G4 plug right in?
    Is there any benefit to just moving the G3N from the front into this spot and putting a G4 at the bow?
    Does the G4 get dumbed down when networking with a G3?
    Or should I just search out a used G3 head unit?
    Not that it matters but it has an ultrex and I'd eventually want to add Mega360.

Sorry if it's common knowledge but I've only ever been on lowrance

The connections including the transducer are the same. The ONLY difference is the G4N has a direct NMEA2000 connection instead of having to use the NMEA2000 black box and Ethernet cable.
    AND a Helix does not recognize the transducer that is connected, default is the standard transducer for the unit model.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The connections including the transducer are the same. The ONLY difference is the G4N has a direct NMEA2000 connection instead of having to use the NMEA2000 black box and Ethernet cable.
    AND a Helix does not recognize the transducer that is connected, default is the standard transducer for the unit model.
    Thanks for your input