Alphas SV TW 800 Spare Spool Question

Wanted to try one of those Alphas SV TW reels after reading a bunch about them, and since I couldn't find one stateside at the time I ordered from one of the Japan>America tackle sites. I didn't realize there was a difference in spool size, otherwise I would have paid attention to that glaring "S" following the 800. Totally love the reel, casts crazy far but I want to use it with more than just 6 lb sniper. I've got 8 lb on it now and it spools the reel when bombing.

I'm wondering if I could get the regular 800 sized spool somewhere?

I found one from a similar Japanese>America website but it's literally 100% the cost of the spool to ship it, and I might as well buy another 800 at that combined total. Anyone know of a good solution?

Thanks!

2. Big Fish in a Small Pond hoohoorjoo's Avatar
    The spool linked below is slightly shallower than the stock spool, but only slightly. Its deeper than the S model you have. A friend uses flouro on his(I use braid) and he says it holds about 85 meters of 8# Tatsu, so around 90 yds. https://m.aliexpress.us/item/3256805...a-6f706a42a4ec
    Last edited by hoohoorjoo; 05-25-2023 at 03:02 PM.
    The best revenge is to have enough self-worth not to seek it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scud_Muffin View Post
    Wanted to try one of those Alphas SV TW reels after reading a bunch about them, and since I couldn't find one stateside at the time I ordered from one of the Japan>America tackle sites. I didn't realize there was a difference in spool size, otherwise I would have paid attention to that glaring "S" following the 800. Totally love the reel, casts crazy far but I want to use it with more than just 6 lb sniper. I've got 8 lb on it now and it spools the reel when bombing.

I'm wondering if I could get the regular 800 sized spool somewhere?

I found one from a similar Japanese>America website but it's literally 100% the cost of the spool to ship it, and I might as well buy another 800 at that combined total. Anyone know of a good solution?

Thanks!
    I am sure someone on the Tackletour forums would trade you for that spool or sell their stock spool.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoohoorjoo View Post
    The spool linked below is slightly shallower than the stock spool, but only slightly. It's deeper than the S model you have. A friend uses flouro on his(I use braid) and he says it holds about 85 meters of 8# Tatsu, so around 90 yds. https://m.aliexpress.us/item/3256805...a-6f706a42a4ec
    Awesome, thanks so much for the solution! Does that work with the SV system or does it change the way it casts?

Also you mention throwing braid on yours, is it the shallow spool and if so what braid are you throwing? Was thinking I would try some thin braid on it at some point on the shallow to see how it does, maybe for BFS-ish.
    Last edited by Scud_Muffin; 05-25-2023 at 04:34 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LowRange View Post
    I am sure someone on the Tackletour forums would trade you for that spool or sell their stock spool.
    I bet you're right about a trade, but I actually wouldn't mind holding onto it and using it for plus sized BFS work or thin braid as an alternative to switch things up. Might shoot for a purchase option. Thanks for the tip!
    Last edited by Scud_Muffin; 05-25-2023 at 04:49 PM.