2 batteries for cranking/electonics

Hello who is doing this?
    I am concerned about draining down cranking batt. I am running approx 11a draw for my electronics. I currently have a 31 series lead battery running it all.
    wondering about adding another battery and running it in parallel. Would the batteries need to be identical in specs? Could I charge them both with only one lead from the charger?
    I was considering getting a 100ah lithium to run just the electronics but then I would need a way to charge that (new charger with additional bank or separate charger)
    also considered a lithium cranking battery but at 900 bucks that is a little more than I would like to spend, but doing a 100ah and new charger would not be a ton less. The most economical solution is 2 lead batteries in parallel especially if I can get by with my current charger.
    wondering everyone’s thoughts on this. Thanks in advance!

check these out
    blue seas acr wiring diagram

4. Member
    I’m running two 31 series AGM’s parallel for cranking and electronics now, so far everything seems fine. These are 3-4 year old batteries that were my trolling motor batteries when I had a 24V troller, they’ll more than likely need replaced soon but so far working out fine.
    Thinking about going lithium when I replace them but many conflicting opinions on these older Mercury EFI (175) motors with stator charging systems.……

I used to run 2 agm in parallel in 2018 as I hit my limit for 1 battery due to electronics overload. I had a northstar 31 and a duracell 31 agm in parallel and it will double your run time. They are close in spec but not the same battery. It worked really well but I eventually switched to 2 lithiums in parallel. You can use 1 charger and it will split the charge evenly between both batteries so if it’s a 10 amp charger it will put 5 amps into each.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

I have 2 Ionic 125ah in parallel for everything but the trolling motor. Power is not an issue during a long fishing day.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

7. Member
    I run one Ionic 125ah and never have a problem. A 12" Helix and a 12" Garmin on the bow.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    I have 2 Ionic 125ah in parallel for everything but the trolling motor. Power is not an issue during a long fishing day.
    wow ya I would hope that’s enough juice lol!
    thanks for the replies.

9. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    +1

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

10. Member
    Running 2 Flooded cell batteries wired parallel for cranking/electronics. Standard charger.

11. Member
    +2 on this same set up. no issues and power for days.....
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

12. Member
    I run two Optima blue tops (probably not the best, but came in the boat) in parallel for cranking and electronics, and the same on my last boat. I have had no known issues.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    Running 2 Flooded cell batteries wired parallel for cranking/electronics. Standard charger.
    Are you using 2 banks of your charger or only 1?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cweb View Post
    Are you using 2 banks of your charger or only 1?
    3 bank charger. I think 15 amp per bank. One bank to the parallel batteries. They charge just as fast as the trolling batteries. With two batteries they don't get drawn down as much. I have a Legend Alpha 199 and since I added the fourth battery I can run slower on plane. No difference in hole shot.

15. Member
    We have an Impulse 120ah. Really put it to the test last weekend at a small lake. We started the morning at 5:30 am and fished until 2:50 pm. Made one 5 min run in the morning and two other shorter runs for the entire day. Livewells ran from about 6:30 until weight in shortly after 3:00. The Impulse is the starting battery and runs 2 Lowrance live 12s, 1 Lowrance live 9, and 2 active target 2s. I will say I check the app right after we started the engine for the return trip to the ramp and we had 22% left. We got this battery last fall and this was the first real test. I'm currently really happy with it's performance but also cautious about it lasting through a 12 hour night tournament where we don't run the engine much.

16. Member
    I have a 100ah Waze ($400) dedicated house battery. I've had it for well over a year and it's performed perfectly.....4 graphs, lights, bilges, stereo, livewell, spotlights, etc. I bought an 8ah lithium charger ($60) that charges it back to 100% overnight. To date the combo has worked perfectly.

Also....

31 lead acid starter....

2 31 AGM paralleled running an Ultrex 80/52/24...

3 bank onboard charger.....

Also, wired in a relay that charges the trollers via the engine once the starter battery is 100%. A kind BBC member messaged me in regards to this and it was a great suggestion.

Installed it all myself.....

So far, so good.....

If you'll search under "lithium batteries" you'll find numerous threads on the topic that will answer your questions.
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 05-28-2023 at 08:02 AM.