Generator for camper

I am wanting to look into getting a small generator for my camper.
    I want to be able to use the camper this year for hunting season and will not have any electric hook ups.
    I would like a fairly wuiet one as well but dont know a lot about generators.
    Dosent have to be huge and dont want to pay a ton as it wont get used much at all. Maybe once a year for a week.
    Any of you all have any good suggestions on ones to look at?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Depends on exactly what you want to use, but it’s hard to beat Harbor Freight Predator inverter generators. This one is popular with RVers https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-w...QaAp7TEALw_wcB

That will keep your battery charged so you can run the furnace, gas water heater, gas refrigerator and let you watch TV and have lights. If you want more power, the 3500 is good as well.

Hard to beat a Honda EU 2200 for quality, but the Predator has a great reputation and if you watch HF sales, you can get the Predator 2000 for around $500, which is less than half the Honda price.

If you get the 2000 and find you need more power, you can buy another one along with a wiring kit to use them together. This is generally easier than one bigger generator because you can lift the smaller generators easier than a 100+ pound 3500W generator and you can just run one if that’s all you need.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

One of the ones I have been looking at is a Genmax brand. They have a 1200 and a 2000.
    Main thing I would need to run would be some light and the furnace really.
    Mainly wanting to use it for hunting season.
    I just do not know enough about them to really make a decition.
    My camper is an older model and the Electric part of it with hook up works fine. But I have no clue if the battery system does or the inverter as I have never had battries hooked up on it before.

4. Member
    I have the Honda EU2200i and its awesome. As CatFan pointed out, you can find cheaper, but it's hard to match the quality of the Honda. Don't think you can go wrong any of them for what you're wanting to use it for during season. Good luck!

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    One of the ones I have been looking at is a Genmax brand. They have a 1200 and a 2000.
    Main thing I would need to run would be some light and the furnace really.
    Mainly wanting to use it for hunting season.
    I just do not know enough about them to really make a decition.
    My camper is an older model and the Electric part of it with hook up works fine. But I have no clue if the battery system does or the inverter as I have never had battries hooked up on it before.
    The Genmax is going to be much louder. So loud they don’t even give you the number, just over 60dB. That means it will be at least 28% noisier than the Predator.

At 3300W it weighs 47 pounds. The Predator at 3500 weighs 102 and the Honda weighs 131. I’d run far and fast from the Genmax. You have to be cutting serious corners to drop that much weight.
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    I've got a 4500 watt Westinghouse inverter and love it. 52db,electric start, remote start and stop,came with handle and wheels, has hour meter. Couldn't find better deal for the money. Igen4500 is the model. I power my Rockwood mini lite with no problems. It also has a little bigger fuel tank than most.

7. Member
    If AC is not a concern buy a 2000w Inverter style generator. The good ones are Honda and Yamaha. The China ones Champion and Wen are the only 2 I can speak for but the Westinghouse seem to do good also after they got a issue figured out. With the 2000w range you can run a toaster, microwave or a heater. Things you normally run off of a standard outlet. Now to be able to run AC the 2200w Honda's will "most" of the time start a 13k unit. Sometimes you need to put a "hard start kit" Capacitor to get it to work. I own 2 of them and use them off grid to power a welder so I have experience with them. They are the strongest out of the 2k series inverters. The 3-4k series inverters will run most of a normal camper including AC. If being portable or easy to carry is not a issue this is what I would recommend, they weigh about 100lbs.[these are the one's Brian is talking about.] I have a Champion 3K unit in Canada that I charge batteries with and it is getting up there in hours with no issues. It is quiet and you can find them used for $4-500. Or what I do is go to Supergen products or Factory pure and buy a reman unit. [the one in Canada is from Supergen] They are tested with anything needing fixed repaired, with a warranty. The only ones I will warn you away from is powerhorse or firman. I have seen a few good ones but we went through 2 powerhorse units before getting 1 that actually worked and still had carb issues. Cheap garbage. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

8. Member
    Hate RV AC. So don’t care if generator will run it. For me it was more about weight. Want to be able to put it in the truck bed. I have a Yamaha inverter. Thinking it’s 2400 watts. Has a 12 volt charger built in. Quiet and runs about 8 hours on a gallon Can change rv ac capacitor to a soft start if needed

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Hate RV AC. So don’t care if generator will run it. For me it was more about weight. Want to be able to put it in the truck bed. I have a Yamaha inverter. Thinking it’s 2400 watts. Has a 12 volt charger built in. Quiet and runs about 8 hours on a gallon Can change rv ac capacitor to a soft start if needed
    Don’t use the 12V charger. First, it’s only 3A, so like spitting in the ocean. Use your converter. Second, it’s unregulated and can damage some batteries and some electronics.
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Don’t use the 12V charger. First, it’s only 3A, so like spitting in the ocean. Use your converter. Second, it’s unregulated and can damage some batteries and some electronics.
    I’ve only used the charger to help another camper with a dead battery boondocking. My converter works fine with generator hooked up

11. Member
    I bought a champion 2500 duel fuel for the truck camper I leave at the deer lease during season. It's super quiet charging batteries phones and watching TV and 5000 BTU AC. Will run 12 plus hours on 1.1 gallons of gas just charging batteries phones and running lights. During the summer using propane at the lake. I can run the AC for a whole weekend Friday evening Sunday evening on 20lb tank. For around $500 Amazon. hard to beat

I have an older Honda EU2200i. Hasen't let me down yet. Newer ones are nice because they have the fuel shut off an bluetooth.