Ultrex skeg not pointing straight down

I installed my Garmin transducer this evening and while I was lining it up I realized the skeg is off by a lot. Its not bent. It looks like the motor body needs to roll around to make it point straight down.
    I think I can take the prop off and loosen the motor screws and bump it around but I'm a little hesitant to do that being this is a brand-new motor. Anyone done this ?
    Last edited by styler; 05-24-2023 at 08:02 PM.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

2. Member
    Remove the prop and loosen the 5/16 head thru bolts and align the skag with the shaft. Loosen them so you can move it by had with little effort. Then tighten the screws. Make sur not to over tighten. A little more than snug is good.

3. Member
    I don't recommend changing the skeg angle UNLESS you put new O'rings and a new seal on the motor. These things are notorious for water intrusion. If I had to do it I would loosen the bolts A LOT, and after getting it where it lines up, tighten the bolts (new O rings if you got them) and I'd slop some sealant over the bolts after I tighten them just in case. It gets very expensive if water gets in the motor.
    Sometimes the motor will be more or less powerful after you align it, but you got to think, it left the factory lined up, why ain't it lined up now?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I don't recommend changing the skeg angle UNLESS you put new O'rings and a new seal on the motor. These things are notorious for water intrusion. If I had to do it I would loosen the bolts A LOT, and after getting it where it lines up, tighten the bolts (new O rings if you got them) and I'd slop some sealant over the bolts after I tighten them just in case. It gets very expensive if water gets in the motor.
    Sometimes the motor will be more or less powerful after you align it, but you got to think, it left the factory lined up, why ain't it lined up now?
    It didnt leave the factory lined up this is a brand new motor. I hear you on the orings. I called minnkota this morning and he told me to go ahead and loosen the bolts and get it straight. We talked about timing and he says on a new one it should be fine straight down. after some time and wear is when its possible it will need a little tunning.

5. Member
    I think the key here it to only loosen it enough so the seals are not damaged from the friction, but not enough to allow anything to get out of place. Mine came new with the skeg crooked.(box showed it had been banged during shipment) 5 years and still dry. As Brad said don’t over-tighten those thin bolts!
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    It didnt leave the factory lined up this is a brand new motor. I hear you on the orings. I called minnkota this morning and he told me to go ahead and loosen the bolts and get it straight. We talked about timing and he says on a new one it should be fine straight down. after some time and wear is when its possible it will need a little tunning.
    You are on the right track then. You don't want to "drag" the O rings and damage them.

7. Member
    Thanks for your help guys. This took me maybe 7 mins and done. Went out with my wife and grandson mostly to check operation of transducer wire routing.
    That turned out perfect. Caught 4 - 5 spots. had a great time. Enjoying the cool new Ultrex . Should have got one of those years ago.