Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trim Relay Assembly?

I recently changed my trim sender cable on y Merc Opti 200 (serial#1B274474) after my dashboard analogue gauge stopped reading. It now reads fine. However, the DOWN trim only is intermittent now. I am pretty certain it is the down relay. One of the trim relays has a blue wire and the other has a green wire. Can someone confirm which is the down. Also, is it necessary to change both. I have a spare that a buddy gave me.

Thank you

I think it is green, however replace both of them, same age, same wear and tear on the contacts.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    green like grass is down , blue like sky is up
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And since they're a polarity-reversing system, you would definitely replace BOTH relays.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Don, being they are a polarity-reversing system does that mean that I might damage the the sensor by only changing one? I have 1 used back up in my boat for this weekend, but have ordered 2 new ones.

Thank you all for the feedback.
    Last edited by Charger296TF; 05-25-2023 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Added info

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The sensor and relays do not interract.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thank you Don!

8. Member
    Still having minor issues with trimming down. Day 1 of 3 fishing it took time to trim down at 1st launch. I had to use the front trim switch to get the motor to trim down. It worked day 2 and 3. The motor is consistently slow to trim down when coming off pad. The trim at the motor does not appear to have any delay, or the trim at the front of the boat, but just at the throttle. Checked this morning while out of water and does not appear to have any issues.

Second issue is I am not getting motor to trim up over 5.3 (approx. midpoint of gauge) while on pad after calibrating according to Smart Craft Guidelines. Is it possible for that I should use different positions when calibrating? Or is this a different issue? I should get more speed at a higher position. Please advise. Thanks.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Likely calibrated incorrectly.

FULL DOWN STALLED AT FULL DOWN FOR 4 SECONDS: Save

Maximum TRIM position (end of short rams, right before fast operation begins): Save

Maximum TRAILER position (highest point safe without contacting something): Save.

Exit trim calibration.

NOTE: This is adapting the gauge to the trim. IT DOES NOT LIMIT TRIM RANGE.

10. Member
    Thanks Don, what might be causing the trim range to be limited?

11. Member
    I was able to add approximately an ounce of fluid. Hopefully, that makes a difference.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're going to need to properly calibrate the trim and then once that's done, determine what "number" you're limited to. Maximum trim position is a hydraulic limit (built into the system).

13. Member
    I still have intermittent trimming down issues after installing a new trim sensor, relays and calibrating. I am only having the issue at the shifter and not with the front trim switch or trim switch on the motor. I either have to keep hitting the switch or just laying on the switch for about 20-23 seconds for it to start trimming down. Could this be anything other than a bad connection? Should I disconnect the shifter assembly and start there?

Then that switch is bad
    Thank You Leon Pugh

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Then that switch is bad
    ^^^^^ This.

The detail that you were only having the problem from the control handle was a critical one.

16. Member
    Thanks Don, the sensor needed replacing as well because it stopped reading at one point. Can I just replace the switch or do I need to replace the entire shifter

Attached Images Attached Images

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Replacement switch (or handle) at your discretion.

18. Member
    Can I order that switch from you?

E mail Rhonda at European marine, she will get you setup
    Thank You Leon Pugh

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See her post, pinned at the top of this forum for contact info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast