Thread: Talon Alarm

Talon Alarm

What’s everyone’s consensus on hooking up the talon down alarms ?
    I was going to hook them up but thought if I talon down at the dock and leave my boat idling the alarms would sound. I’ve read a lot of people do not have them hooked up …… installation manual says optional.

2. Member
    I don't have one hooked up, I never crank my big motor without checking that they are up. My biggest mistake is having them down while fishing a spot then trying to move with the strolling motor and wondering why I'm not making any progress.

On my talons the alarm is not real loud but loud enough to get my attention. I'm thinking it sounds for about 4-5 seconds and then it is done. If you want to hear/test your alarm simply run a jumper wire from the + side of the battery and touch it to the alarm wire.

If you do decide to install the alarm wire it can be installed to any wire that becomes hot when the ignition key is turned on. I'm thinking the install instruction says hook to ignition system but technically the talon does not care where it gets power from but it needs to be a source that is only hot when your going to start the big motor. I help a friend install his and I'm thinking we hooked it to the + side of his fuel gauge since its only hot when the key is on. Mine is installed to a hot ignition wire but as I said you can install it to any wire that is hot only when the key is on.

If you don't hook up the alarm I will guarantee you will know they are down if you try to idle or get on plane. I will occasionally idle with mine deployed to clean the spikes and the boat shake is very noticeable. There is zero doubt in my mind I would not notice them down even without an alarm. I like the fact that the alarm only last a few seconds because it would be annoying for me to idle and clean mine.

If running wire I would go ahead and install it. If I bought a boat and it was not hooked up I would probably not run a wire for it unless I was running wire for another project.

4. Member
    many boats have a purple wire close to cranking battery to hook it up to. live with ignition on. I ran a wire to the ign switch which was easy enough also. must have it for warranty also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    When I had Talons, I had an old EFI motor. I would never hear that alarm over that one.

6. Member
    My Talon alarm beeps and it's not that big a deal for me.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

7. Member
    I went ahead and wired it ……

I left my off when I first got it. Only takes a few launches with it deployed to get your attention from the shaking. Glad I hooked it up.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

9. Member
    I wish I had an alarm that went off as soon as my foot touches my TM foot pedal.